I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay single rod dryer
Posted by: Dan Nichols (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 12:29AM

I just bought the Pac Bay single rod dryer unit. It consists of a dryer motor and a separate rod support unit (both mounted on squares of plywood). The rod support has rubber edged wheels that clamp the rod securely. The chuck has three adjustable rubber tabs that clamp the rod butt in place.

As I was using it last night, I found that the rod would slowly work itself out of the chuck and drop on the table.

After a bit of investigation, I believe I know why. It looks like the rod support wheels cause a kind of "cork screw" action that slowly pulls the rod out of the chuck.

My solution was to build up a cylinder of masking tape on the section of the rod blank that sits right in front of the wheels. It acts as a block that prevents the blank from being pulled through.

Has anyone else experienced this? The rod support is held to the plywood with a single screw. Perhaps it is just off center?

Suggestions? I have to have a table top unit. I don't have a workspace for a professional rig. I do my wrapping on the dining room table.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay single rod dryer
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 06:38AM

I have had the same problem I use a large screw hose clamp to put a little more pressure on the chuck

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 08:54AM

Yep, same problem. I hope PacBay will address this issue. I never had this problem with my PacBay Rodsmith rodwrapper when drying. It seems to be the stand alone dryer with the problem.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 09:59AM

Just put something up against the tip top. I have a wood upright that I just clamp to the worktable so that it is lightly touches the tip top. It doesn't interfere with the turning but won't let the rod move forward. Similar to what you're doing with the tape bushing but I don't have to wind any tape. I just set it, clamp it and go!

Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 10:34AM

Dan I bought the same dryer and had the same problem. I found on mine that the dryer was angled down which put the rod in a bind. So what I did was prop the front of my dryer up with one of Toms Rod Making Mags to get the angle correct. After that no more problems.

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Posted by: scott duane parsons (---.accel.atl.earthlink.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 10:44AM

I also had the same problem and found that if I cocked the pulley set just to one side it cause this to stop. I also don't have this problem with my wrapper. and I belive that it is just an alignment issue and by cocking it to one side I get the proper alignment and stop the corkscrew affect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster