I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Transition from Blank to Grip - Ideas?
Posted by: Peter Houston (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: September 24, 2005 09:54PM

Hello all,

I am building two light game rods for a customer, a 6kg and an 8kg line class.
The butt area is complete and im ready to start the thread work.

However, I want to build a ramp from the blank up onto the front grip from a weave pattern, so there is a smooth taper up onto the foregrip and then epoxy it.

I was thinking of using C or D grade thread to build my ramp, but i am wondering is there any other materials that could do the job and what do other rodbuilders use here?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Peter.
Rods On The Fly,
Newcastle, Australia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transition from Blank to Grip - Ideas?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 10:08PM

I do a lot of those and here is how I do it. I put the rod on my dryer and slightly raise the tip end. with the rod turning, i put gobs of 5 minute epoxy where the blank meets the foregrip. As the rod slowly turns, the epxy will flow smoothly creating a nice smooth ramp. You have to keep adding epoxy until you have enough to make the ramp that you want. The height of the tip end will pretty much determine the slope of the ramp. When it is dry, I just wrap up the ramp until I get to the foregrip and tape the thread end to the foregrip and apply finish, When dry, just trim off the excess thread end with a razor (you can also just add a drop of super glue to the end of the wrap).

Try it on a piece of scrap with a cork ring on it. I think that you will like it! Pigment can also be added to the epoxy

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 10:20PM

I've done the 5-minute trick as well - I gob it on there, turn the blank by hand, and let it set up and wrap thread up teh "hosel". Put more on, and sand it down to teh thickness & taper you like.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 11:03PM

I tapper maybe two or three cork rings so they tapper right to the blank. 5 min them on with a little over the tip. Then sand and add thread. After sanding is done, you may want to put a coat or two of permagloss over the tapper for a hard surface to wrap over. Watch the thread tension, not to tight.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 25, 2005 02:26AM

Thread can be used in layers, like a staircase, to make a ramp-hosel. Anything from all one color, to a new color for each step (like a fade wrap). Accent the steps with a trim band, in contrasting color or same color but metallic, if you like. Obviously, this takes a lot longer to wrap, but it can be fun, if you're in the mood. This is one place where I think E-size thread shines, IMO. It makes nice bands / rings, and E-size thread builds pretty quickly. -LOL, -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Peter Houston (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: September 25, 2005 05:09AM

Thanks Mike, Billy, Bill and Cliff.....

Im going the 5 min epoxy road as i don't have a great deal of time with these two rods.

Bill, your suggestion is the one i like the most, so i will have a go using cork on the next job i have when i have more time.

Cliff, your idea also has merit, but these two rods are being built with identical designs....black A grade and gold metallic trim.

Regards,

Peter.
Rods On The Fly,
Newcastle, Australia.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 07:05AM

Maybe tint the epoxy, the resin first, if you want a little color ?? Remember it sets up quick.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 07:19AM

Whatever you do, don't leave teh 5-min on teh outside of teh finished rod, as it will Yellow worse than anything you've ever seen. If you're goign to tint it, make sure you tint something which goes over the 5-min.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 07:33AM

If that is the case, tint rod finish and put a coat over the 5 min.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 10:57AM

Peter I use the cork and epoxy method that Bill discribed above. I find it much easier to build the transition when I have a large difference in diamiters between the handle and the blank.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Scott

Posted by: Stephen Altenbach (---.dixie-net.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 04:06PM

I am also about to build four rods with leather grips over EVA. I have never done a transition like this and I am guessing this will be the best method for my application as well. I plan on shaping the EVA to a decent fit to the blank and ferrule and then globbing on the 5 min, sanding it down, probably repeating until its perfect. Then, I will wrap over the 5 min epoxy down to the blank and coat with regular finish.

Am I on the right track?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster