I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concept spinning rod set up
Posted by: Ed Grella (69.177.45.---)
Date: September 24, 2005 08:10PM

I have a 7' graphite blank that I am using the concept system on. I am having a problem when I mount the reel (Penn 4500ss) on the reel seat and align the center shaft with the table edge. The rod never intersects the straight table edge so I know where to start using the #8 guides. I can guestimate like I usually do, but I wanted to do this by the book and compare casting tests. Thanks, Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concept spinning rod set up
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2005 08:19PM

Do you have another reel of similar size that will intersect the blank? If so, use that one for the set up (the amount of reel spool upsweep makes little difference in actual use).

Date: September 24, 2005 09:07PM

Tom, I tried a Shimano 3500 also. Tried both reels on two seperate blanks, same results. Seats are Fuji #18's with Fuji arbors. I do have more of these blanks with no components on them, I will tape the reel to the blank to see if this changes things. Thanks, Ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2005 09:27PM by Ed Grella.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 09:11PM

Are you sure you've got the reel center pin straight? I've used those reels and on a rod that long there should be no problem with intersection.

Also, please don't tell me that you're going to use size 16 seats on those rods. They will be VERY uncomfortable for anyone to hold onto. Way too small for that size rod and reel. Way too small. Bump up to at least an 18 and a 20 would be even better.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 24, 2005 09:17PM

"I am using the Concept System ... I am having a problem when I mount the reel [and] align the center shaft with the table edge. The rod never intersects the straight table edge." - Ed Grella 09-24-05

"This happens quite often. What you'll have to do is just create an artificial intersect / choke point and use that." Tom Kirkman (Moderator) - 07/28/05 - 08:54PM, in the Reply: "Re: New Guide Concept,,,,,OOOOOPS!!!"

If you want to read some very interesting discussion on this subject:
New Guide Concept,,,,,,,,,OOOOOPS!!!!! dick laxton 07-28-05
OLD / Original Thread (7/28): [www.rodbuilding.org]
This Post had 479 VIEWS, and 20 REPLIES.

If that is not exasperating enough for anyone, consider this as well:
“Concept Oops! The Ratio & Loaded Cone Method” Cliff Hall 08-04-05
NEW / Phase II Thread (8/4): ): [www.rodbuilding.org]
This Post had 608 VIEWS, and 44 REPLIES

Sometimes, art and science don't mesh neatly.
This is one of those times. IMO, -Cliff Hall+++
"When in Rome, ... do as the Romans do."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2005 09:34PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: September 24, 2005 09:28PM

Mike, They are 18's. Eyes must be going!!! Ed

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2005 10:38PM

This isn't a big deal. Just find a reel with a similar spool size that has sufficient upsweep to intersect the rod blank and work from there.

Taping the reel directly to the blank will make a difference as it will put the spool closer to the blank and perhaps bring that sight line onto the blank. Good luck.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 11:07PM

When I use a Shimano/ 18 mm Fuji reelseat my intersect point comes in consistently at about 48 inches from the center of the post on the reel's foot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster