I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is it fast ??
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 11:04AM

Hi guys

Does any one know if the St Croix 3C56MF is a fast action or more a mod-fast??
It's rated fast ?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it fast ??
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 12:42PM

You still starting new thread on this topic?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 04:44PM

I would think that if it's listed as a fast act. it would be a fast, mod fast would be listed as such and so on. One company's fast action may be a little different than another company. The best way to familiarize yourself with different actions is to stick with one or two blank companies.
Most people who come to me for a rod aren't concerned if the blank used is a St. Croix, Loomis, Rainshadow or whatever; they are more concerned with action than brand name. I keep a large stock of blanks from a couple of different companies in the most popular styles and actions for my area, and when a person wants a certain type of rod i don't have to go looking all over creation to find one. If he wants a fast action worm rod i am familiar with that manufacturers blanks and it's a matter of picking that blank and starting on the rod.
Even if you don't keep but a few blanks but stick with one or two manufacturers you're way ahead of the game by not having to spend a day or two looking through catalogs and websites.

Lance

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 07:12PM

IT's actually been 3 days, and 4 new posts on the 1st page worth of searching:

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 10:38PM

Lance
I always thought of SCIII as a mod-fast. Plus it seems that most companies are calling there blanks fast? I figured I would ask.

Billy
did a search on different topics, It's just how many people fish for bass with a 5'6 rod, usually a 6-6'6-7'
If he wanted it that cheap I could have trimed a 6 footer.
The St Croix has a warrantee

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2005 08:50AM

Bill,

The SCIII come in moderate, moderate/fast and fast models. The material has nothing to do with the action.

Check the CCS database just in case somebody might have thrown one of those in there. It would have the AA rating and that would give you a perfect idea of the action.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 09:10AM

In that case Tom, there fast should be fast. Good. I like them any way.
Tried to find CCS data. Not many people fishing with a 5'6 casting rod. For bass.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2005 09:54AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 25, 2005 11:27AM

Bill, I will help ya out with this one. Go ahead and order it up, I am sure that he is going to like it. If you get it and are unhappy shoot me an email and I will take it off of your hands. I do have one suggestion for you. I have picked up some of the BAT727 that Andy Dear had and they are definately HEAVY action and if cut down will be more than even the SCIII that you are currently looking at. I absolutely love the SCIII's but this little All Star is nice considering the price (12.00) What is he planning on doing with that rod? I am probably one of the oddballs here that actually enjoys using the small 5'6" blanks for close in spinnerbaits and even pitching some small to medium jigs at VERY close targets and especially docks. It is what I am used to using and is comfortable and just works. Don't get me wrong, I counted last night and I have 70 built bass rods in the house and 20 or so blanks waiting to be built up. I do still prefer the smaller rods for the close in stuff although I am starting to get a great fondness for some of my 6 footers.

Hope that this helps you out a bit

Tom Kaufmann
SSGt USMC

Date: September 25, 2005 12:00PM

That's nice of you to offer Tom. I am kind of partial to St Croix. I was trying to get one with a warrentee just in case, that is why I did not want to trim any blank. If he does break it I don't want to eat it. It is a bass rod according to there site. I'll probable use it. Cliff Hall had thought they might have trimed a 6 footer??
Got to find out about those $12.00 blanks that Andy has.

Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 25, 2005 01:24PM

Yes, it is a bass blank and pretty good one at that for the money. I am extremely partial to St. Croix as I was born and raised in WI and like to help out fellow statesmen as much as possible. Yes, there is a difference between California and Wisconsin cheese, Wisconsin's is MUCH better!!!!! (am currently stationed in Ca.) They do make a 6 footer with the same specs as the 5'6". Just to let you know I was wrong with my designation on the 727. I think that it is supposed to be a BAST727 not the BAT as I had written. Give Andy a holler I am not sure how many he has left but the deal cannot be beat on the blanks!! There should be no reason for you to worried about the breakage unless the person is just a menace to his gear. I have plenty of the Avids and have had no problem with breakage.

Tom Kaufmann
SSgt USMC

Date: September 25, 2005 01:37PM

I have been lucky so far also, knock on wood, unless no is telling me ??
Now I just have to see who has one in stock.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster