I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Underwrap silver as reflector
Posted by: Dennis Craig (---.jf.intel.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 10:43PM

I am trying to use silver as an underwrap so that I won't have to use CP to maintain the thread color. also to try this new effect.

Problem #1: here is my basic issue.. packing the 2nd layer.. the thread seems to wan to follow the underwrap ridges and makes it a pain to get a good pack.. how tight do I want the second layer. I am thinking it is oky for some silver to show through because of the bleeding effect w/o CP.

Problem #2: When I get to the end of my 2nd layer.. I am trying to go over the end of the underwrap hiding the silver all together. BUT when i get to the last 2 wraps of the underwrap the colored thread wants to dive between the bottom layer threads (!) even with lite tension.

Do I solve number one by not covering the underwrap perfectly.

#2 is it reasonable to be able to cover the underwrap, or is this a by product and I should stop my 2nd layer before the end and allow the underwrap silver to be trim.

Help.. I got about 20+ rods under my belt but this is a new one for me. I know these are common techniques so it must be easier than I am making it.

Oh, threads are A on silver A 9002.

thanks, dennis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Underwrap silver as reflector
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 10:58PM

It would be best if you put a coat of epoxy finish and let cure for a couple of days before you wrap your overwrap. You'll be able to pack your threads a lot tighter.

Lance

Posted by: Dennis craig (---.jf.intel.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 11:24PM

"Epoxy finish" being flexcoat, or Epoxy that you use to set the cork?

I was thinkin dabbing CP on the ends. ? But that doesn't solve the silver thread coming through the gaps...

thanks for the tip.. dennis

Posted by: Steve Purcell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 12:44AM

I have used this technique with both gold and silver underwrap. The look you get is probably not what you might expect. Red on gold give a "candy apple" effect. It is gorgeous and works as well with green/blue on gold/silver. The thread is completely translucent and looks like plastic or hard candy. I use either chrome/stainless or gold guides as the entire foot will be visible. Shoot me an email and I will send pics of a Seeker that is wrapped and buttwrapped with silver underwrap and blue overwrap, no cp.

For best results, coat the underwrap with enough epoxy (I use F/C) to provide a smooth, level finish, then do the overwrap. I leave the end of the underwrap showing. I can't give you a technique that will evenly cover the entire underwrap. For that effect, I suggest under-paint instead of wrap.

If you don't pack the overwrap tightly the silver will clearly show thru and ruin the effect.

Posted by: dennis craig (218.1.176.---)
Date: September 24, 2005 01:17AM

Sounds like you are wrapping the blank,, setting the guide on the underwrap, and then holding the guide down with the colored threat.

Maybe what I am doing is a double wrap, where the silver is holding the foot down, and the color is a second layer over that.

Either way I think the effect is close to the same?

Email sent.. thanks, dennis

Posted by: Patrick Heintz (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 08:40AM

I tried the same thing with white spray paint as an underwrap, as recommended by another on this site. It was very easy to cover completely after light sanding with Scotchbrite. I liked the color of the nylon overwrap (without CP), BUT there was very uneven coloration due to how tightly I packed the thread. Obviously, do a trial run on a scrap piece of blank.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (65.19.129.---)
Date: September 24, 2005 10:01AM

Something else you might try is to use some of the Sulky sliver, electra braid or HT braid. These are more flat and will allow overwrapping easier. But they probably won't work well as a double wrap. I use them for underwraps expclusively.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 12:49PM

Steve, why not post the pictures on teh board?

Brosee through here, all my guide wraps are Nylon A over Metallic A with no color preserver, even the Yellow one over Black one. Don't limit to Silver & Gold, I just wrapped Purple over blue-TEal meatllic, looks amazing in teh sun

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Epoxy over teh underwrap, if you use FC you can do the overwrap in probably 5-8 hours (I never use dFC I'm guessing). I used Glass Coat & Epoxy One Coat which I Was able to wrap over in 5 hours.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 03:25PM

Use gold or silver Mylar Tape on the blank and the thread on top of the tape. Jesse

Posted by: Dennis Craig (---.jf.intel.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 01:22AM

I put down my first wrap of Silver, and put on a thin primer of FC(a bit of acetone).

In the future I might want to try mylar instead of the silver A thread. Where can you get the mylar tape,, I checked anglers workshop website and didn't get a hit. maybe I can email them and see if they can get it.

Thanks for the tips..
dennis

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:08AM

Merrick Tackle carries it and I think Mudhole does also. Jesse

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 02:34PM

Jann's has it, but only 1/8" wide...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 03:22PM

I've used silver holographic LuhrTape for under wraps. It comes in small sheets measuring about 3" X 5-6". My favorite for underwraps and to decorate spoons is a silver holographic sheet (appx. 4" X 6") that I ran across in a Great Outdoors Provision store in the fly section.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster