I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing plastic butt cap on Gloomis spinning rod.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 09:57PM

I've got a black plastic butt cap (with a camera-case type finish) on a Gloomis spinning rod (handle #27) that I would like to remove to add a small amount of weight in the end to balance the rod a bit. The cap is about 1" long and 1" diameter and appears to slip over an unknown length of cork at the bottom of the grip. I'm not comfoartable with my heat gun as I have distorted too many things with it in the past. If I could find an exact replacement, I could "shave" the old one off and replace it later. And I've boiled reel seats off in the past and ruined the cork - anyone with better ideas than mine? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing plastic butt cap on Gloomis spinning rod.
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 10:11PM

Hi Tim,
If you need to cut it off finding a suitable replacement should not be to hard. Try a little eldow grease and you
might be able to remove it with no trouble. Try dipping just the butt end in some very hot water for a minite or
two first to soften the epoxy.
You could also just cut a hole through the bottom, insert the weight, and install a plug. Done!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 11:03PM

Cut a slit down one side then peel the old butt cap off. Buy a model no. BC19 butt cap from any of the sponsors and slip it on with a little five minute epoxy then you're all done.

Lance

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 11:22PM

What Lance said; done it many times.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 23, 2005 11:45PM

Or if you want to change the look and feel of the rod a little bit, you can use one of the cork composite or eva foam buttcaps from Forecast.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 11:52PM

No need to cut or ruin anything. Take a flat edge screwdriver and insert into the bond area between the butt cap and the end of the handle. A little jiggling around and you can remove the cap with ease and no harm done to anything. It goes back on just as easy with the help of a lttle rod bond or 5 min epoxy -whatever suits your fancy - It takes about 15 seconds to remove any butt cap that Loomis ever put on, and about 30 seconds to put it back on. I've done it about a thousand times plus or minus a few hundred here and there.

Ralph

Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 24, 2005 10:25AM

Ralph,

You truely are a master!! You all may think that I am sick and twisted and will wonder why in the world I would do this but I happened to have a GL3 SJ722 in the truck that I am taking fishing after I get off of work . Just as Ralph stated it took only about 15-20 seconds or so and the little puppy popped right off. Way to go Loomis, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway thanks for the great idea,

Tom Kaufmann
SSgt USMC

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 24, 2005 12:30PM

Well, Gloomis doesn't use rod bond, that's for sure!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 24, 2005 03:41PM

AMEN to that!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 09:19AM

Thanks Ralph, your idea worked great! Actually I used the wife's parring knife since it had a narrower edge and in less than 15 seconds it was off. Thanks again.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 07:55PM

The butt cap is the only place I can think of where RodBond might not be the best adhesive. Butt caps take a fair amount of abuse and maybe should be semi-removable.

Stan

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 08:21PM

Regarding the above post: I make all butt caps of rubberized cork and always use RodBond. Were I using plastic butt caps, I'd still use RodBond!

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster