I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide alignment issue
Posted by: josh kantrowitz (63.117.201.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 03:03PM

i am building a pitch bait rod using a 6 1/2 calstar grafighter blank....i am using a slick butt and a 10'' foregrip....i reversed the reel seat as well so it works more like a unibutt.....

the problem i have is that w/the 10'' forgrip and the reversed reel seat, it is harder to align the guide....i did mark the 4 sides of the blank but when i am placing the guides it is still hard to reference the exact top of the blank....

any suggestions would be appreciated

jk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide alignment issue
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:37PM

Hey, Josh K. - Tape down a ZERO-AXIS thread, or whatever you want to call it. Find about a 6 inch section of the blank, between the butt wrap and the butt guide where nothing will go, except this alignment thread. Tape down a heavy thread that lays on the rod along the axis that you want the line guides to align with. That's your gunsight and your overhead midline. Keep your guides straight from both views and you'll be fine. The overhead view should have the rod blank bi-secting the horizontal diameter of each guide ring. If it doesn't, your guide ring is rotated off-axis and needs straightening down the gunsight's view. I hope that makes sense. In lieu of thread, you can simply use a very narrow piece or strip of tape; or create a gap between two strips of tape, or whatever else works for you. Just don’t scratch the blank finish or leave a gummy residue after you remove the tape, and you’ll be fine. Rubbing alcohol should be plenty strong if any tape residue needs to be removed. LOL, Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 04:54PM

Josh
I like to take an old reel frame(one of the one piece kind like tiburon) put it in the reel seat and straighten the guides and tip that way. The reel frame will chuck into the reel seat straight if you tighten it down good (eyeball it just to make sure) Works great for me.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 11:23PM

I used a chaulk line once to mark the axis of a heavy blank. Worked great !

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster