I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who Flocks rod handles?
Posted by: Jim Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 01:06PM

I will be building a couple of rods in the next few weeks and would like to try flocked handles on both of them. I don't build enough rods to "invest" in the equipment necessary to do a really good job. Is there anyone out there that will flock handles sent to them using the process outlined in the Rodmaker magazine a while back? Thanks for your input.

Jim Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who Flocks rod handles?
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 01:14PM

Invest? You'd be talking about something like $25 in order to get a really good job yourself. I bought a kit for that and got the miniflock gun, the adhesive and some grey flock and the results I got were beyond great. I don't think they could have been any better. I did about 4 grips from that one kit and still have plenty of adhesive left over and enough to flock to maybe do one more grip.

I think the Rodmaker article did list an individual that would also do these for you and probably some people here on the board will too. But you can do it yourself. If you closely follow the directions you'll get good results and the grips will look great. It's not expensive and the miniflock gun which is only about $6 or something to begin with, works just great.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 01:16PM

I thought the article also mentioned a gentleman that flocks grips commercially.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.r09.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 02:28PM

Ron Holmes in Knoxville, TN. does this commercially and the end result is fantastic work. His phone number to contact him is 865-922-2350. I do not have an e-mail address for him. You will not be disappointed with his work.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (70.85.195.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 09:24PM

For what it would cost you to have someone flock two grips for you, you can buy a kit and do them and more all by yourself. The mini flocker gun will not wear out for many years so it is a one time expense. It is included in the kit from Binghams. About $25 I think for the gun, one can of adhesive and pretty good sized bag of flock. If you think you will be doing more in the future why not get a kit and learn how? It will only add another option you can offer to your customers or yourself down the road.

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 09:49PM

i had two handles flocked by Ron. the fibers are twice as long and are nylon. he has lots of different colors and they look ten times better then due it yuorself flocking.if you want a really good flocked handle give ron a call. cost a little more but well worth it. stan lothamer

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:03PM

The do it yourself method will produce grips that look about 95% or better, as those done commercially by Ron or Biscayne. If you do not feel you have the time or just don't want to do it, then Ron or Biscayne can provide you with great looking flocked grips. If you choose to do it yourself, it doesn't cost much and you can produce very, very nice grips. Although I've been doing it a bit longer than most, I can produce flocked grips that I believe are flawless with not very much effort or trouble. You can do the same, although I'd say it might take you a few practice runs before you get a really perfect flocking job.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster