I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

confused, confused
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:53AM

I have only recently started building rods after over 45 years of very successful fishing, 18 of those guiding. I wade fish the bays from the Mississipi to the Rio Grande. I have 45-50 "off the shelf rods", only a half dozen are my favorites.I recently purchased 4 identical blanks (at considerable expense) from a supply house after describing my needs and was sorely dissapointed at the stiffness (they were described as "fast").
I only fish and build rods for wade fishig for reds and specs. We use 6 1/2, 7 , and 7 1/2' long rods. Our "go to" bait is a 1/4 lead jig head with a 4' long plastic tail. Total weight is 0.4 oz (12 grams) rod handles are 8- 12". And high end Shimano level wind reels, (yes we also throw top waters and other baits). How do I order blanks to match my favorite rods? The obvious objective is casting distance. Or how do I order blanks from the suppliers for my needs? I"
've read the statement, "you can't cast with a wet noodle" altho I can break the sound barrier witha bull whip. I also know you can't cast with a 2x4, or even a 2x2.
Like most things I suspect the optimum and truth is somewher in the middle. I thank all of you in advance for your help and comments.
Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: confused, confused
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 11:18AM

Post the model # from rods you have, maybe someone is familiar with them and can give you the blank number, or know a comparable model

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 11:46AM

Doug,

I fish the same way you do for the same fish. What are your favorite rods? Make and Model # if you have them. I like using popping rods and hotshot rods for most of my wadefishing.

Bret

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 12:43PM

Doug,
We have probably stepped in each others foot steps while wading. I have expensive rods and cheap rods and for the money I still like the Allstar blanks in the 842 and 844 series. The 842's I like for throwing spoons and and shrimp tails. The 844 for top waters like the Top Dogs Give Andy Dear of Lamar Reel Seats a call. I bought several blanks from him for $12 a piece and I am waiting for him to call be back on another blank that I am looking for.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2005 12:45PM

"Fast" does not mean stiff - it means the rod initially flexes in the upper third. You may find the terms in the Glossary helpful to read over.

A fast action rod would be a good choice, but you need to match the other criteria as well. Look for something that is listed as being rated to cast about 1/4 to 1/2 ounce lures (your 1/4 ounce head plus tail will probably top out around 3/8th or so) so this puts you square in the middle. Power ratings vary from company to company, but I think you'd want something of about a 3 power.

In popping blanks, which would be good for what you're doing, I'd look for some that have model numbers like this:

P843 (the first two numbers being length in inches, the last is the power rating.)
P904

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.emrsn.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 03:13PM

Tom,
Where can I learn more about the blank power rating , your previous reply has caught me off guard.
Thank you
Ricardo

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 20, 2005 06:32PM

Secret De-Coding Scheme for Rod Blank Model Numbers:
Example: GSB-108-3-F-2 (based on a Lamiglas rod blank)
G = Graphite material
SB = Surf-Bar, implies an intended use, and a certain rod blank taper-action and power
108 = rod length, in number of inches, or sometimes "90" = 9'0"
3 = power rating by that manufacturer, within a given blank series. This usually has some correlation to the LINE-LURE rating, within a given brand and series.
F = Fast taper (where taper = action, in most cases. Sometimes, action is used as "power".)
-2 = If a rod is 2-piece or N-pieces, then the last digit usually is the number of pieces. For a 1-piece rod, the final digit is usually absent and the rod blank is assumed to be 1-piece.

Other manufacturers use slightly different schemes for encrypting this information about their rod blank's specifications into the rod blank's model number, but you get the idea. And that will quickly enable you to decipher at least some of the characteristics of the rod blank from other manufacturer's model numbers. Reading thru hard copies of Catalogs is easier, in my opinion, than clicking thru web pages for information. Have some at home to refer to quickly. LOL, -Cliff Hall+++

For a VERY interesting discussion of the correlation between line rating and lure rating and rod power, do yourself a big favor and read the recent Post & Replies for: [www.rodbuilding.org]

# test vs. lure weight (Art Parramoure Sept. 8, 2005 - 05:07am)
"Guys,,, is there a relationship, or a rule of thumb for lure weight and # test of the line to use with it.. For an example, say I have a 1/4 oz. lure, is there a range of line that I should use, like 4# to 6# test, or 6# to 8# test, or if I'm using a 3/4 oz. lure, I should be using a 15# to 20# test line, that sort of thing??? Any maybe someone could tell me what exactly that information means on the side of a blank???? Is that just a recommendation from the manufacturer? Is that the limits of the blank in some way?? I know personally of a customer of mine catching a PLUS 30 lb. fish on a 4# test line and an ultra-lite rod.. Thanks in advance, Art Parramoure." [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 11:45PM

Hi Doug,
Have you contacted the supplier who sold you those blanks about sending them back?
I hope you can but if you can't you might try a post in the "buy / sell / trade" section of this
board. That would be a good way of recooping your conciderable expence and getting
what you really need at the same time. If you cannot use those blanks I bet there is some
one who will.
The Shikari MB704 and P764 would be good to look at by the way.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:18AM

doug Casey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .I recently purchased 4 identical blanks
> (at considerable expense) from a supply house
> after describing my needs ....

Doug,

Ordering 4 blanks in one shot without having previously used them is pretty gutsy (and optimistic). Even after you become more familiar with rod ratings, descriptions, specs, etc. , you will never really know what a rod is going to be like until you build it and fish it. At that point, if you like the results, then it would be safe to order and build more of them.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:24AM

IT would be great if the person who posted this replied with more info, the way a few of us asked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster