I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

a MODERN bamboo rod
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:43AM

here is the plan. what do you folks think.

i ordered an 8' two piece 5wt blank from jeff fultz. (i have one of jeffs blanks already and it is a wonderful casting rod). my plan is to use modern materials in an unconventional (for bamboo) configueration. the departure will be in the guides. i want to build it with single foot ceramics. my concern is weight in the tip. i intend to use fuji titanium guides in the smallest size i can get away with, especialoly in the tip. i know one of the guys on the board here built a similar bamboo rod with single foot guides. any thoughts? caviats?
i will use a coventional seat (bellinger with black ash insert) .i also intend to use thin cork rings (1/8" ) with pigment in the glue to emphasize the glue lines. will use silk wraps and
varnish. this will be my fourth bamboo. all of the others have been very traditional.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a MODERN bamboo rod
Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.nas88.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 11:46AM

Larry
I have redone several older bamboo rods[Fly,Spin and Cast] in this non-tradintional manner. One is a 6.5 ft. H-I Geneva that I converted to a 7ft. Fly. Another was a 9ft. Montague Combo.redone with Fuji gold cermats,purpleheart handle & reel seat w/gold hardware.Both owners are very pleased.I personally think that if the old masters would have had these modern items available to them they certainly would have used them.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2005 12:59PM

Rich brings up a good point - if the old makers had had better components, they would certainly have used them. For instance, they could have used the traditional hook and ring guide, but they chose snakes guides because they were the best at that time. If ceramics had been around them, I think you would have seen them on their rods.

Date: September 20, 2005 03:10PM

does anyone have any opinions regarding the guide size, keeping in mind that bamboo rods tend recover slower than the typical graphite rod and i don't want to over weight the tip section.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 05:43PM

I've had good results using a running guide as a tip guide on several light (2,3 and 4 wt.) fly rods. I reccomend the Forhan security wrap on all single foot guides, especially when used as a tip. Perhaps, #10, 8, then 6's to and as the tip. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2005 05:46PM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 11:06PM

Because a bamboo rod is already intrinsicly heavier, resulting in slower recovery time, the choice of guides, tiptop etc. with respect to weight is going to have proportionately less effect than the same guides on graphite rods with much faster recovery times. Said another way, the per cent increase in weight and recovery time is less for bamboo rods, because they are effectively heavier to start with. I'd say use whatever hardware pleases you.

Mike

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: September 21, 2005 01:29AM

Hi Larry,
Mr. Eden Bromfield did a bamboo fly rod with single foot ceramic guides - a very beautifull (thats an understatement) rod I would like to add and I think the ceramics just made it so much more interesting

[www.rodbuilding.org]

You might want to contact him to ask if he noticed any disadvantages.

Peter

Date: September 21, 2005 10:18AM

I saw it a while back but could not find it in the archives. thanks. his handle work is amazing. the rod is
a museum piece!

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.149.238.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:45PM

Rod building and bamboo rod making is an art form.... so,,,,,, why don't YOU be the artist !!!

Art

Date: September 21, 2005 11:28PM

i am an artist. one who is not afraid to learn from the work of others. this site helps take all of us to a higher level than if we were working in a vacuum. i really appreciate the input from you folks.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 04:03PM

I have been spared this same decision until last week, when I ordered a 4 weight bamboo blank. One thing you will notice going to ceramics is that the guide side flat on a hex blank is much narrower than you are used to, and a radiused foot is of no use at all.

On some other rods, I did have the idea to use one or two PacBay XSGs to transition from stripping guide to snakes/SF wire. At least this keeps the line off the rod til it passes the mid-ferrule, and the wire matches the look of the ceramic stripper. I would really like to build a rod with one tip finished tradionally and one modern, but I haven't figured out how to deal with the 2 running guides on the butt section. They would have to be ceramic for the ceramic tip section to work, and this would clash a bit with the traditional tip.

Date: September 23, 2005 09:49AM

if performance is the main concern i guess we can do anything to get us there. when you try to combine asthetics with performance the challenge has more elements. keeps it interesting doesn't it? with two tips it does present some possibilities. a true "dry fly" tip. and a "wet fly" tip maybe. the dry fly tip with the light components to enhance tip speed and the heavier components on the wet fly tip to slow it down and open up the loop. i don't know if that really would work in the real world, since true wet fly tapers in bamboo require a rod to bend deep into the butt section and a dry fly taper is more tip flex.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: September 23, 2005 11:26AM

Exactly so for the wet and dry configurations. Doubt if it would make much difference casting but sounds good. I was looking at the H&H strippers and am thinking a 12, 10, and 8 on the butt. They are ceramic but still have the style of the older strippers. Course, 2 too many strippers for a traditional look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster