I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish is the pits!
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 05:49PM

What causes finish to pit on a blank?
Thanks for the help!

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish is the pits!
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2005 09:34PM

If you mean divits that appear to have no finish it may well be silicone or some other oily contaminate.The term most commonly used is fish-eyed.A search of the topic should reveal awealth of info on preventing it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 19, 2005 09:37PM

That is usually caused by contamination. If you have changed anything in your mixing process that could be where your problem is. I bought some new syringes to measure my epoxy with at the drug store and my finish pitted or fish-eyed. I found out that medical syringes are lubricated with silicone. Any kind of silicone or petroleum product will cause this.
patfatdaddy

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 10:19PM

Can also be caused by cleaning with alcohol just before finishing.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 06:34AM

What can I do to fix the problem with the next coat?
Thanks for your help!

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 07:33AM

Depending on what the pits look like it could be bubbles.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 09:26AM

Scotchbrite the area lightly and wipe off with a fresh paper towel that doesn't lint and re-finish.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:05AM

Are you talking about finish directly on the wraps, or over a previous coat or application of finish? If this is occuring directly over the thread, you can spot silicon problems by the hundreds and hundreds of dimples on the surface. Pin holes are usually something else - micro bubbles that have burst too late in the set for the epoxy to then flow and refill the pinholes.

If you're seeing dry spots over another coat of epoxy, the previous coat is repelling the second. Prep it for a water-break-free surface before recoating.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:16AM

I kind of assumed it was in an inscription type area cuz he'd said 'on a blank'.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 12:19PM

I just put one coat of finish on the blank in a small area to apply a dacal. The first coat looked like it would not take in the areas it pited.
Thanks for the help!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2005 01:01PM

One thing about decals is that they do seem to require a coat of CP. Their slick surfaces will repel finish to some degree.

Posted by: Richard Rippe (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 06:59PM

Tom, Decal Connection recommends putting some Microset on the decals. Do you do something different or will this do the job?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster