I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madison River Rod
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 10:25AM

Guyz-

I wanted your experienced input on the length and weight of a rod for a trip I'll be taking out to Montana next year.

My only criteria:

It must be a multi-piece packable rod. We're planning on shipping our gear from Ohio to Montana via UPS ahead of the flight.

It will have fuji single footer fly guides on it. I am using these almost exclusively on everything I build now-a-days.

Thanks-
Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

InfinityRodCreations@yahoo.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madison River Rod
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: September 19, 2005 10:50AM

Domenic,

Build a 9 foot, 5 weight on any of the medium fast to fast blanks available now and you'll be well equipped. Long casts aren't usually a requirement but you will fish with wind as a factor and fly size can vary widely.

Stan Grace

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 19, 2005 11:04AM

The Madison is constant fast water and possible big fish using little #20 and smaller BWO in spring and fall and # 10 ants and grasshoppers in the summer. I'd hit Dan up and maybe check out the FT blanks for one rod. Maybe with his blanks you'll have a rod that can throw multiple line weights and tippet strengths and throw a sinktip/streamer when necessary.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 01:19PM

Thank you!

Domenic

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: September 19, 2005 01:52PM

I agree with Spencer on checking out Dan Craft FT's but I'm certain one of them in a 5# will as heavy as you need. Large dry flies during the salmon fly hatch as well as large nymphs and streamers will most likely expand your hook sizes to 6's and even 4's.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Lanny De Rose (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 12:28AM

Domenic:
Hello. I just finished a Rainshadow RX8+ 905/4 and the thing is incredible. Very light and fast but very user friendly. It will cast 20 ft. great and will throw an entire SA Mastery GPX line with a very tight loop. I am very impressed with this rod. Very nice finish, slim ferrules that fit great. Compares with the most expensive rods on the market. It seems like it will be an all around rod for wets, nymphs and dries.I used it the other day, fishing a size 16 nymph to 8-9" shellcrackers/ redear sunfish in 2-3 ft. of water and did not spook a fish. Redears that size are great fun on this rod.

Lanny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster