I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

#5 blank for casting only
Posted by: Harald Runde (---.ii.uib.no)
Date: September 19, 2005 09:15AM

I`m thinking of getting me a #5 fly blank for long distance casting practice only. Does anyone have an idea were to go? I`ve been thinking of Sage TCR and Loomis GLX. Do you have any other long-casting recommendations?

Thank you!
Harald

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: #5 blank for casting only
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2005 10:12AM

For long distance casting with a 5 weigh line, you'll want to look at a 6 or 7 weight blank. Of course, most manufacturers who revel in long distance casting rods are already selling you a 6 or 7 weight blank with a 5 weight rating on it, for just that purpose.

I'd look less at brands and more at the intrinsic power of the blank. If you're talking about throwing an entire 90 to 100 feet of 5 weight line, then I wouldn't buy a blank that had an ERN of less than about 6.5. And anything in the range of 5 to 6 in the ERN category will likely run out of gas once you get much past about 60 or 70 feet. The only exception would be those blanks that are extremely fast action (AA68+).

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: September 19, 2005 10:34AM

Look at the Dan Craft FT's. Eith the 5 or the 6 might be right up you alley....very fast blanks and, of course, Dan Craft excellence.

I'm no distance caster...nor a great caster (and not very good some days!)...but I can throw my 7 wt FT farther (or is it further?) than any other 7 wt or 8 wt I've cast.

But that might not be saying a lot!

Try 'em though!

Keith

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2005 01:43PM

With my Dan Craft signature III 9' 6 weight I can throw the entire 6 weight line plus 5-10 feet of backing if my timing is right.

Mark

Posted by: Harald Runde (---.bb.online.no)
Date: September 19, 2005 03:19PM

Dan Craft seems worth trying. Have heard nothing but good things about them and the price is great! Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: September 19, 2005 04:49PM

I checked the CCS data site and the Dan Craft Sig V 9' 5wt has an ERN of 6.49. That would make it a very good long range 5 weight rod. The Sig IV in the same length and line weight only has an ERN of 4.90 though so it probably wouldn't excel at long distances with a 5wt line.

Posted by: Gil Mc Millan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 06:22PM

Harold
If ypur practiceing for tournamemt casting, check if the tournament furnishes the rod & line for competion. If so, I recommend that you dupilicate the set up that you will have to use in competion.
Gil

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.va-ashburn0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 01:44AM

Gil has a point some of the tounaments I've heard of here in the Pacific Northwest are done with Sage TCRs and SA Mastery XXD lines only.

Posted by: Harald Runde (---.bb.online.no)
Date: September 20, 2005 09:07AM

Gil and Spencer:

I don`t think this is the case here in Norway. So I think I might start out with the Dan Craft that Shawn suggested. But I`ll get me an XXD to practice with anyway. Do you know if the longer orange competition-version is commercially available in the US?

Thank you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster