I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip disintegration
Posted by: Tom Hughes (---.dia.cust.qwest.net)
Date: September 19, 2005 08:58AM

When I removed an IM6 rod (that I built years ago) from its rod bag yesterday, I noticed that the chrome-plated, stainless, tip guide was badly corroded. As I tried to remove the corrosion, the tip wobbled and then came off, with the rod tip itself inside. In looking closer, the tip had apparently disintegrated, and had even left a little black spot of graphite residue on the rod bag. I'd replaced the tip back in the winter, using the same 5-minute epoxy I've always used for tips, but hadn't used the rod since. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this problem? In 20 years of rod building, I've never seen anything disintegrate part of a blank like this. The rest of the rod seems fine, apparently the problem was only at the tip guide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip disintegration
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2005 10:17AM

My only guess would be that the heat that was used to remove the old tip was sufficient to ruin the rod blank tip. I don't think moisture would have done this.

Date: September 19, 2005 10:28AM

I heated a nail and just touched it to the tip, which is the same process I've always used. Never had a problem before, but maybe I got it too hot. Can't figure why the guide was corroded, though. The rod has been in the bag and tube for months, stored inside the house, and there was no other corrosion anywhere else. I've been wondering if the epoxy somehow reacted with the tip guide.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2005 10:34AM

I doubt it. If the rod was put away wet, or even on a very humid day, you may have trapped moisture in the tube which led to the corrosion.

Water/moisture can undermine many epoxies (including that used to hold the graphite fibers together) over a period of time. But I still can't see this as the problem. Then again, a heated nail shouldn't have hurt the blank unless you applied it directly to the blank itself.

Date: September 19, 2005 10:57AM

The rod was put away dry, on a winter day when I imagine the humidity was about as low as it gets in South Carolina. The heated nail never touched the blank, it was only sparingly applied to the tip guide. I tested the top after the glue dried and it seemed as sound as it could be, never a wiggle. I don't think the rod has been out of the tube or the tube out of the rack inside the house (which is air conditioned) since then until a couple of days ago. Also, I would think that a moisture problem should affect the other guides or the reel seat, but there are no problems on any of these. As I said, the rod tip itself actually disintegrated, leaving a residue on the bag, with all the appearance of a pretty drastic chemical reaction. The rest of the rod looks fine.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 11:04AM

Maybe it was the epoxy? See Ralph's response to another post below. I don't do bamboo, so I don't know what the ferrules are made of.

Re: JB Weld
Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 18, 2005 08:08PM

Here is my answer to the Bamboo Rod Forum

There is no technology under the sun more UNSUITED to bond metal to bamboo than Pliobond. I have had many a pow wow with the bamboo types and they are as tradition bound as any group I have ever experienced. The very fact that you join the ferrule to the rod by heating the ferrule and the cement then with a good deal of effort, press the ferrule on until it is completely seated -- tells me that the ferrule would have many years of good service had you used a car wax instead of pliobond for the joint. Of the readily available technologies available to the average rod builder --- the hot melts are probably the best choice for this job as they will stay bonded longer than the epoxies. The epoxies will exhibit the best initial bond strength, but the interface with the metal ferrule will be corroded away in a year or two. However if you are pressing the ferrule on with a good deal of effort --anything you use -- including a good wax -- will do the job, and whatever you use you can point to it and say you have proof positive that this is the best.

Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster