I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

JB Weld
Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.61.105-203.ptr.llix.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 11:19AM

I need to glue a ferrel back on a bamboo rod that came loose and don't trust
my 5 minute epoxy due to the slop after cleaning it up,

Has anyone used JB Weld before and if so is this a good alternative?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: JB Weld
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 11:24AM

I have had good success with JB Weld for other purposes but I would use Rod Bond for the ferrule if I had it available.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: September 18, 2005 12:38PM

Stan Grace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have had good success with JB Weld for other
> purposes but I would use Rod Bond for the ferrule
> if I had it available.

Thanks Stan ... problem is I don't have any rod bond handy as
most of my stuff is in storage. I do have some 20 minute epoxy
and the JB Weld.

Maybe I should just order some ... need some stuff from Andy Dear
so I might as well place another order.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2005 01:12PM

Products are only as good as their intended useage. JB Weld was created for plugging cracks and gaps in fuel tanks, metal hose or fuel lines, structure ruptures, etc. You'll be better off using regular liquid epoxy over the JB Weld. RodBond would be even better if you have the time to pick some up.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 03:41PM

actually very few bamboo builders use rod bond for setting ferrules but some swear by JB weld. i have used it to set ferrules on bamboo and it has held up well. some use a hot melt ferrul cement, and quite a few builders also use pliobond.

Date: September 18, 2005 03:51PM

HER IS AN ANSWER FROM A BAMBOO ROD FORUM:

Forget epoxy for ferrule work.

Clean the inside of the ferrule and the cane. Use Pliobond cement. With a Q-tip, apply 1 coat to the inside of the ferrule. Apply a coating to the cane. Let that dry and apply a second coating to the cane. Let that coating dry also. Start the ferrule as far as it will go by hand, Apply heat to the cement and ferrule and press the ferrule on untill it is completly seated. This may take a good bit of effort. Clean the excess with MEK, wrap if necessary, and touch up the varnish.

Good for many year of fishing.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 18, 2005 08:08PM

Here is my answer to the Bamboo Rod Forum

There is no technology under the sun more UNSUITED to bond metal to bamboo than Pliobond. I have had many a pow wow with the bamboo types and they are as tradition bound as any group I have ever experienced. The very fact that you join the ferrule to the rod by heating the ferrule and the cement then with a good deal of effort, press the ferrule on until it is completely seated -- tells me that the ferrule would have many years of good service had you used a car wax instead of pliobond for the joint. Of the readily available technologies available to the average rod builder --- the hot melts are probably the best choice for this job as they will stay bonded longer than the epoxies. The epoxies will exhibit the best initial bond strength, but the interface with the metal ferrule will be corroded away in a year or two. However if you are pressing the ferrule on with a good deal of effort --anything you use -- including a good wax -- will do the job, and whatever you use you can point to it and say you have proof positive that this is the best.

Ralph

Date: September 18, 2005 08:52PM

car wax? hmmmm. cheap enough thats for sure. many bamboo rod builders don't like epoxy and some swear by it. but i think you are right ralph. the hot melts are the best idea i think.

Date: September 19, 2005 12:06AM

Ralph O'Quinn Wrote:
>Of the readily available technologies available
> to the average rod builder the hot melts are
> probably the best choice for this job as they
>will stay bonded longer than the epoxies.

By hot melts are you referring to the glue sticks
my wife uses in her hot glue gun?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2005 08:31AM

Yes, althought here are different types and heat ranges for those hot melt adhesives.

Now for glueing up our handles and reel seats, you'd want to stick with an epoxy. Ralph is talking about the ferrules used on most bamboo rods. Not the standard seats and grips which we mount on our rods.

Date: September 19, 2005 09:02AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Yes, althought here are different types and heat
> ranges for those hot melt adhesives.
>
> Now for glueing up our handles and reel seats,
> you'd want to stick with an epoxy. Ralph is
> talking about the ferrules used on most bamboo
> rods. Not the standard seats and grips which we
> mount on our rods.

Thanks Tom ... I was following what Ralph was saying and
it's for a ferrule I need.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster