I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap finish
Posted by: Tom nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 02:31AM

Just starting my third rod. Love this new craft, its great. Now I have this part I have the real trouble with. Tying off without the nub sticking out. Sometimes I get it right, maybe fifty percent of the time. I was using the pull the thread back across the wrap , form a v and clip and hope that it whips back under. Not being satisfied I did a SEARCH and found a thread that says to put your tie off loop in, make 10 more wraps, insert the tag end through the loop, pull, and just before the tag end begins to go under the wrap cut the tag end. Then pull the remainder of the tag and it ends up burried perfectly in the wrap. Its works fine, every time. Is this an efficient way to finish. The thead also had a link to a vidio that shows a pro explaining the said method. I hate having to cut off nubs after the first coat of epoxy. Thanks for any input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.gct.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 18, 2005 02:36AM

Tom,
Sounds like you have worked it out, I could never get it to work for me doing that way, I still kept pulling through even smaller tags. Get some nail clippers or some good quality cuticle clippers makes it near impossible to nick a thread. You will eventually get it, I think we all went through what's happening to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2005 03:20AM by Myles Boon.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 18, 2005 03:21AM

I use that '10 wrap' method you're describing. Sometimes it's 15 or so, too. It works great for me; once in a while the metallic mylar sheath from Gudebrod's or Sulky's metallics will unravel as the tag is pulled through and come out with the tie-off loop on me, but it's pretty easy to nip off for me. Madeira's Super-Twist metallics don't do this.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 04:49AM

What I'm getting at is this an excepted method?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.gct.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 18, 2005 07:19AM

Yes it is, basically whatever works for you.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2005 08:52AM

Yes, it's fine. Your wraps will stay put and the tag won't come out from under the wrap. Particularly once you apply finish.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 09:03AM

THe only problem I had when I've used this method is Cutting teh tag too long, and when I pull through a small amount still sticks out. This small nub was longer than the nubs that I got when I did it the "normal" way, only it wasn't long enough for me to hold and slice it off. Whatever works for you is teh best method....but if you practi e the "normal" way you will eventually get to teh point where you use a sharp razaorblade (new) for each rod and the nubs willnot be there anymore.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.44.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 10:42AM

The whole idea when pulling the complete tag end though and then cutting is to make sure you " open a gap " in the wrap and then cut. This way the wrap of thread springs back over the tag end and covers it.
And always a sharp cutting tool.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 18, 2005 12:16PM

The best thing that I ever saw for trimming tags and leaving NO nubs is a GOOD pair of Cuticle Nippers [www.rodbuilding.org] I first saw this method used by Bill Stevens in Charlotte and believe me, it works!!
A bit pricey (close to $20) but have a lifetime guarentee and free sharpening! Cuts flush with NO nubs. You can get them at any Beauty supply or large drugstore (I got mine at Walgreens for about$15)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2005 12:17PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.44.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 12:21PM

I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Ain't that the truth .

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 12:41PM

Thanks for the replies. Good Wraps!

Date: September 18, 2005 02:21PM

Mike - those Cuticle cutters are awesome, I've been using them on Metallic threads since Charlotte. THE one problem I have is when I don't pay attention and clip the main thread - I was working on an underwrap for 15 minutes this AM, and did exactly that, I was pised! Not teh cutters fault, mine. Personally, I prefer the razor blade for cutting regular thread, as it is easier to get a handle on than teh cuticle cutters.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 18, 2005 03:06PM

It is harder to see what you're doing with the clippers. They seem to be in the way no matter how I hold them, but they do work.

Problem here with the "lifetime sharpening" is it costs money to ship them somewhere to be sharpened and back to me again.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: September 18, 2005 06:31PM

Another thing about teh cutile cutters, and double edges razor blades, and any single edged razor designed for shaving - they have lubricants on them which will contaminate the finish. ALWAYS wipe new cutting tools/instruments with alcohol before using. Not that it's a big deal, teh fisheye/foam bubbles that are a reult are easily sliced off with a razorbalde once the epoxy hardens, but don't forget to clean teh blade the second time, lol.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 18, 2005 08:40PM

You aren't obligated to send them back, but if the cost of shipping is less than the cost of the nippers, why not? Do like Bill Stevens, he has to pair and alternates them
For all I know, they will last a builder forever. I have had mine since March 1st and they don't appear ant duller than when they were new. I wouldn't think that thread would be very hard on them

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 10:24PM

My favorite ways to trim threads are double-edged razor blades cut in half & cuticle nippers. I've used the cuticle nippers almost exclusively since Charlotte & think they're great.

Be sure to get a good pair. Bill said to plan on paying $20.00 or more for a decent cuticle nipper.

Stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.emrsn.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 02:49PM

After seeing Don Morton using a set of cuticle cutters (ccs) at the Duck River Gathering a couple of years ago, I purchased a REVLON set at Walgreen's, it cost me around $20, but they are still cutting well. Once I tuck the tag end under the wraps, I pull it up with some force to stretch it and then I cut with the ccs. I don't have to worry too much about how good is my pulse as when using the other cutters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster