I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

visible length of wood insert for fly rod fuju vs other skeleton seats
Posted by: John Kepka (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 07:46PM

It appears that the dimension of the visible portion of a wood insert on a fly rod reel seat on most of the reel seats is about 2 inches or 52 mm. However, If one wants to use a fuji 16 mm skeleton for the seet then using 52 mm would result in an overall reel seat about 1 inch longer than "normal." Does anyone compensate for this by making the visible portion smaller? I would like to showcase the wood. I have already miscut a piece of wood. The other question is if the wood is special what is wrong with a dummy piece to take up some of the extra length in the fuji skeleton?

I happen to like fighting butt instead of end cap. I think the wood just finishes it off nicely. This will be a 8 ft 3 wt 5 piece signature III rod.

thanks

john kepka

John
God bless the troops and USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: visible length of wood insert for fly rod fuju vs other skeleton seats
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 07:49PM

How about trimming the threaded piece to the minimum length needed for the reel. Would that help??

Mike

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 09:13PM

I would follow what Mike said and trim the threaded end appropriately. I do.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: September 17, 2005 09:41PM

Make the wood barrel about 44mm long and you'll be good to go with the fuji style seat. Some seats have wood barrels that are way too long and you can't run the nut up all the way without it covering over part of the wood. So that's just wasted wood.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: September 17, 2005 10:31PM

Shawn is correct...42mm is actually the optimum length. If you measure the distance between the end of the threads and the front hood on a standard Fuji seat it is 42mm. make the exposed barrell 42mm and it'll be the exact same dimensions as a "non-skeleton" Fuji.
I did several hundred over the past couple of years, and they work great.

Andy Dear
Lamar MAnf.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster