I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shop lighting
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 16, 2005 03:55PM

I'm about to build a new work shop for rod building and a little wood working. As for lighting over the area in which I will do all of the wrapping what type bulbs do you perfer? I was thinking the "daylight" bulbs would be the best. I'm also talking here about the hanging 4 or 8 foot shop lights. I would think that's what most folks are using.

I have noticed that regular indoor lighting is not good at all at finding flaws in a wrap. I usually see them after I take it outside in the daylight.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shop lighting
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 16, 2005 04:33PM

Steve - imo, brighter is better. I have 2 8' double shop lights, I think 75 watt bulbs (I will check when I get home). Pretty cheap, $40 at home Depot. Over my wood lathe on teh other side of my room, I've got 2 4' shop lights. I have regular Flourescent bulbs in mine, I think.

Make sure when you instal them, they are diretly above where your lathe will be. You'll be able to line up butt wraps, and otehr stuff with teh glare from teh light bulbs above.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2005 04:39PM

Just in case you want to delve deeper into the issue of lighting, the volume 1 #5 issue of RodMaker had an article on shop lighting, bulb color (degrees Kelvin) and ballast types. It might be more than you want to know, but it's all in there.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 04:40PM

I wouln't bother with the inexpensive shop lights. They don't put out much light. I have 8' high output flourecent lights in my work area for general lighting. They are more than likely the same thing that Billy mentioned. Got them at HD or Lowes for $40 a piece. I did hang them on chains so that I could lower them to where I wanted them.

My other great find...since I work in my garage. I found 8' fly strips for barns, etc. at agri supply that I hang above the light. Catches almost all of the flying critters that seem to end up in my epoxy.

I was wrong. The fixtures were $65 a piece. The bulbs (2 per strip) are 110 watts each.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2005 06:59PM by Bob Sale.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 16, 2005 05:21PM

What Bob said reminded me - I have the same bulbs in my 2 sets of fixtures...but since I purchased the fixtures at different times, one was an Industrial model, the other was....something else. The industrial one puts more light out, no question, the cheaper one the blubs haev that pulsing look to them - yes I have switched the bulbs on both fixtures - I got waht I paid for, sort of.

I screwed mine right into teh ceiling, then put a ghetto electrical socket on teh ceiling and plug the lights in that way. I missed the shop class on light siwtches, lol.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 05:36PM

I like 2 banks of 4/4ft flourescants over a 12 foot space...bright!! ...a total of 8 -40watt bulbs.....One of the lights I want to invest in is an "Ott light". I accidentally borrowed one temporarily from my folks while they were away (she quilts) and couldn't beleive the difference it made. I gotta get an Ott !!!

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 07:02PM

One word that comes to my mind "halogen", a little more pricey but they tend to be very bright.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 07:15PM

.....and really HOT!!!!

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 07:19AM

I think it would be a given that anything that gives off intense bright light would give off a good amount of heat. I wouldn't light the whole room with them, just over my wrapping area.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2005 08:24AM

I use Halogen 25W bulbs in my drying box, pumps up the temps 30 degrees.

The Flourescent bulbs I use are 60W, I already forgot exactly which one. ARGH!

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 17, 2005 04:41PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Lot's of good ideas!

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 08:13PM

I use a halogen lamp for room lighting. I have several swing arm lamps with GE Reveal light bulbs in them for my actual lighting wherever I happen to be working at.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.emrsn.com)
Date: September 19, 2005 09:10AM

Steve,
I recently converted my garage (20*10*8) into a rodbuilding shop, for illumination I used T8 Fluorescent Lighting (smaller diameter tubes)
I purchased two twin tube assemblies, an 8' and 4' respectively, at the local Home Depot store.
The illumination in the garage is bright white and good to the eyes.
Below is a link to more information on T8
[www.bchydro.com]
Ricardo Font
Puerto Rico Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster