I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gluing Blank Exposed Reel Seats
Posted by: Rick Bennett (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 11:10AM

I am about to build my first blank exposed reel seat rod. Although I have been building rods for many years this application is my first and I am seeking the best methods to use so that the exposed blank is not smeared with glue AND the reel seat is properly glued to the blank. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Capt. Rick Bennett

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gluing Blank Exposed Reel Seats
Posted by: dave schaub (38.112.169.---)
Date: September 16, 2005 12:28PM

Capt Rick,
I build virtually all my bass rods using the blank thru reel seats. I use
30 minute two part epoxy and smear the rod heavily in the area where the
seat will go. I approximate mentally where the rod blank will be exposed and
do not put any glue there. Next I take the reel seat and slide it on while turning the
seat. I do this over newspaper or other paper to catch any drips. I know the exposed
portion will have glue on it and it will squish out of the end near the handle so I have
a cloth or paper towel handy which has alcohol on it to wipe up quickly after I have the
seat in place. Once the glue is cleaned from the handle interface and the exposed blank,
I generally use a small spatula to put some glue carefully in the open end. After wiping the
excess off here, if any, I stand the rod up and check it every few minutes to make sure that
there are not any new flows to clean up. The alcohol does a great job of taking the glue off
and by using 30 minute setting time, you have enought time to be sure that you get good
alignment, excess glue is removed and everything is in order before the glue sets hard. I have
used the 5 minute glue on occasion but you have to be fast to get everything ship shape before it
sets. One mistake and you could be in trouble! I really dont worry much about the glue
since I know that if I am careful, only the minimal amount will be on the seat or cork and I can
easily remove it with alcohol.
Good Luck---Dave

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 03:04PM

I use Rod Bond. It's thickness prevents ANY run off, drips, etc. (it stays where you put it) and has a long set up time. I spread it on the area where ithe seat will go and slide the seat into place. I immediately wipe off whatever smeared on to the exposed blank section with alcohol and check periodically to make sure that it is all off. Works great

Mike

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.81.2.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 16, 2005 05:47PM

Do it the same way you would glue up a standard seat and clean up the blank area with alcohol, running an alcohol dampened Q-tip around the seam.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 02:10AM

Just like to add that not all of the exposed casting reel seats are the same. I've used two brands. One requires one arbor under the threaded barrel. It's very light and I prefer it.

The other is solid and requires no arbor; it needs to be taper reamed the entire length. It's much heavier and I don't care to use it because of this extra weight.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 02:15AM

Don't keep us in suspense, Putter!! Which is which????

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 02:29AM

I'll be honest and up front; I don't use Fuji anything. Goes back a ways; just won't use their products. Just me; I seem to get by somehow...

The lighter one is Pac Bay.

The heavier one is American Tackle.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Rick Bennett (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 05:42AM

Thanks everyone.
Capt. Rick

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 08:15AM

Forecast makes nice stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster