I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Would you build a rod using a blank you have never seen/used before?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: September 16, 2005 10:20AM

Hello all. I am about to build my first fly rod. Most say to try a fly rod first before buying it so you can see how it casts and if it suits your personal taste. That makes sense to me but I also noticed that several of the sponsors here offer various complete kits. The only problem is I am not familiar with their products although some give some basis for comparison (e.g. Hook and Hackle's IM6 blanks).
I guess my question is are these a good way to start building fly rods since realistically I will probably want to upgrade in a few years when I become more familiar with the sport or should I stick to a rod that I have seen and tried out before?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would you build a rod using a blank you have never seen/used before?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.71.14.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 16, 2005 10:29AM

The only thing I could tell you is if there are any fly shops around, go and try a few out. See whatch one you like.
Or if any of your friends fly fish, try there's.
I would suggest to start, a moderate fast or a fast is good. Has more power to cast a line. Some thing like the Dan Craft or St croix SCIV.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2005 10:51AM

I don't think you'll get a bad performing blank, but it may not suit your personal tastes in a fly rod. That's the only problem I foresee.

If you have a rod there that you really like, run a CCS measurement on it for power and action. The CCF (frequency) would be great too. Then compare those measurements with that of the blank in question (if you can obtain such CCS measurements for it - try the Common Cents Database that Bob Hesser has up, the link is at the upper left of the sponsor column). That would at least eliminate any chance that the blank would be completely different than what you prefer.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 10:57AM

Since probably 90% of all blanks, supplies are purchased by mail order, sight unseen, it would be very difficult to get any "hands on" feel for a particular blank. Another thing to consider is that some of the "feel" is determined by the components, guide setup, etc as well as the skill of the builder.

If you find a fly rod that you like, just post and ask for some opinions on comparable blanks. I would strongly urge you to get a copy of Tom Kirkman's book Rodbuilding Guide. It is the best book on basic rodbuilding that you can find.
You might also try a search on this site and enter something like fly rod beginner and select all dates.

Mike

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 11:36AM

Since I don't have any suppliers near my location, I am stuck with ordering blanks sight unseen. The only ones that I've been disappointed in were some clearance economy casting/spinning blanks that I didn't get all the info on beforehand. As far as fly blanks, I started using Forecast blanks just to get some experience inexpensively, and found that they were wonderful to cast, especially in shorter, lighter weight rods. I have a couple of higher end rods now, but still find myself using the Forecast line quite often. Just ask for opinions here first. There are plenty of those to go around and most guys are more than happy to share theirs.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: September 16, 2005 12:19PM

The biggest problem you'll have in trying to "test" rods is to find a fly shop that will let you test it under actual fishing conditions. You can't test a fly rod in a parking lot. Realistically, what can you tell from casting in parking lot? You can't tell how it will work for mending line which is a lot more important than how far you can cast with it. You also can't tell how you would feel after casting it for several hours. I have far too many fly rods and the only one I was ever able to try under actual fishing conditions is a Winston 6 weight LT which I purchased from a fly shop owned by a friend and fishing buddy. That's also the only fly rod I've purchased in the last 40 years. All the blanks I've built, except 2, were purchased by mail sight unseen. I have been slightly disappointed with the color of a couple of them and the quality of the finish on a couple, but I have not been disappointed with the action or how they fish. I've built Sage, WInston, Forecast, Amtak and Pac Bay. The Sage and Winston cost a lot more than the others, but I tend to use the Pac Bay and Amtak most often.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 16, 2005 12:35PM

If you haven't learned to flycast yet It would be difficult to try some to see what you like. I would suggest staying away from a very fast action at first. It is easier to get the feel for loading the rod with a more moderate action rod. The Hook and Hackle im6 kits are an outstanding deal. The blanks are a little softer in the butt than I prefer but are good for someone learning to cast and for close range fishing. The green ones are really nice looking and the components are higher quality than any other inexpensive kit that I've seen. Get a kit with the aluminum rod tube and sack for about $70. If it's not the perfect rod for you then you're not out much money. The rod tube and sack is worth $35 and can be used for any rod with same length and # of sections.

Tony

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.239.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 16, 2005 01:12PM

I beg to differ. I think it is the wet noodle thing. You can not though a line over head that is tied to a " wet noodle " No power. IMHO.

Since this is your first. Pick up an inexpensive blank and start from there. Or whatever you can afford.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: September 16, 2005 01:20PM

Almost all the rods I have built have been on "unseen" or tested blanks. You have to start somewhere. Pick a blank that seems to meet you specifications from one of the sponsers, don't buy a real expensive one or a real cheap one, and have at it. Rodbuilding is a very forgiving enterprise. You do get do overs if you don't like the way it came out the first time.

People keep saying to "cast the rod first" because it is a easy thing to say. But not always easy to do. And maybe not very revealing if you do not have enough skills and experience to rate the blank ayway. How a rod fishes is important too. But you have to have it to find that out. It is all about getting started and building up a little personal data base.

I cast rods at least once a week and sometimes every day for a while. What I find is now that I have developed some minimum casting skills I can cast about anything with no problem. I actually can't decide between the rods I have which is "best". Some days I like one, some days another.

I am gonna make the bold suggestion that if you stick with the sponsors of this board and don't buy the absolute bottom cost blank that you will get a very good blank to build on. And maybe even at the botton price point also. I will also suggest that after you build it and use it you will devlop more of a sense of what is right for you.

You might like BMW's, but you can still drive a ford and get there. That is sorta the way of rod blanks.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: September 16, 2005 02:02PM

Several years ago I was building flyrods for one of this boards sponsors. Hook & Hackle was a client...I was building on Pacific Bay Blanks. I can't vouch for what H & H is using now, and Pac Bay blanks have gotten "better" IMHO, but all things being =, they are generally nice blanks.

For the most part, I think rod manufacturers have gotten rod making down pretty well. In my experience, there just aren't that many "poor" blanks being made by major makers any more. There are definately different "actions" out there, and a board/group like this one is a great aid for info on stuff like that; CC charts, opinions, experiences, etc. But getting stung on a lousy blank is more of a quality control issue more than anything & manufacturers will send you a replacement in most cases.

If you want to be sure about how a blank will feel when finished, go to your local fly shop and ask to cast a few rods to see what feels most comfortable to you (however, make sure you buy something, we need to support those guys!).

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 16, 2005 03:19PM

Tom,

If I were you I would recommend a forecast or a tiger eye blank.....why?
1. Both are decent quality blanks at a very reasonable price.
2. Both are moderate action blanks....much more forgiving for someone who is learning to fly cast. Though the craze at fly shops seems to be the faster the better...alot of flyfishers do not like a really fast rod (except maybe in saltwater applications). Most of the really expensive blanks are lighter and faster...that doesn't necessarily mean better. IMO its kinda like hookinga ferrari engine to your lawn mower.....pretty cool, beautiful and something you don't really need.
3. If this is your first flyrod you might not come out with a pc of artwork on your first try....my first one is definitely not my prettiest....but it fishes great! point being I would spend 300.00 on components until you are hooked on fly fishing and fly rod building. You might not even like fly fishing (Ive heard of weird people like that...and try to stay away from them).
4. You can get a kit for both...yes I would get a kit...everything will fit. Some sponsors will even upgrade a few things for you..like a bit nicer reelseat for this much extra etc.

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: September 16, 2005 09:27PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I think that I will try one of the sponsor's kits, most likely a Hook and HackleIM6. I have built quite a few spinning/baitcasting and ice fishing rods but never a fly rod. I'll follow the directions laid out in Kirkland's book and see what comes out. Thanks again for all of the advice. Tom.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 03:06AM

For 24 years, all rods that I built were on blanks that I'd never seen or touched before ordering them.

The main reason I went to Charlotte for the big show was for this reason. Man, I wasn't disappointed; there were so many of them it took two days to wade through them.

I could not believe how many blanks were sitting there for me to shake, rattle and roll! Unreal; gotta go again this next year, too! I'll get enough to make me through the year, hopefully... if ma let's me take the whole account with me ???

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 08:20AM

Randy
Don't tell her ?? Sneak them in the back door or cover them up in the back.
If she See's the package tell her it is a surprise??

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 17, 2005 01:42PM

Haven't met a woman yet that couldn't sniff out a smuggled package; they just have that 6th sense!! LOL.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.123.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 18, 2005 04:11PM

Sounds like contraband ??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster