I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hard Aluminum Oxide vs Zirconian coated guides
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2005 12:35PM

I've built (3) fly rods with Forecast sf guides and really like them. The first one was with hard aluminum oxide rings, the other (2) were with Zirconian coated rings (one was for my son and I haven't with fished my other one yet).

I'm going to build a spinning rod for Salmon on probably the Rainshadow HS1021F blank. A set of (9) Forecast VSLG guides and tip top with hard aluminum oxide rings are going to run just over $8 altogether. The same set up with Forecast LTCVSNG guides and tip top run a bit over $67. I realize the LTCVSNG guide frames are TiCh coated but to go Salmon fishing a few days a year (and I'll probably use my fly rod most of the time) what difference am I really going to see for the extra $59 difference in the guide rings on a spinning rod that I'll probably only use from the boat? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hard Aluminum Oxide vs Zirconian coated guides
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 14, 2005 01:07PM

I doubt that the difference would be felt (Don't everyone jump at once!) Todays guides are ALL capable of handling pretty much of whatever you want to throw at them. The zirconium rings are a little harder and slicker, but, IMO, any of them will work just fine. You just have to decide for yourself if the difference is worth the price.

Mike

"I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me - I'm Retired!!!!!"

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: September 14, 2005 01:16PM

Tim,
I would say that the salmon rod you plan on building, which the blank you picked is an excellent blank, now for the guide to pick it all depends on how much fishing you plan on doing and how big of a fish you expect to get into. I know on the bigger fish when they make their runs there is alot of friction and you may want the zircoinia coated rings as appose to the hard aluminum oxide ring. I would either email Josh, Karry, or Bill up at Batson as they live up in that country for the salmon and can guide you in the right guide you will need. I myself would probably do the zirconia ring.

Neal's Fishing Products
www.nealsfishingtackle.com

Posted by: Mike Nicolle (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 14, 2005 02:22PM

Hi Tim,
I prefer the zircoinia rings for salmon, or any big fish. I use alot of braided line for salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon and have not had any problems with the line grooving the rings.
Hope this helps, Mike

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 14, 2005 02:57PM

Braide line won't groove a quality AlOxide ring either,

Mike

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.43.148.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: September 14, 2005 04:35PM

Hold on there cowboy,

I am confused, I thought a "zirconia ring was 100% ziconia and then it was coated with a hard chrome, Titanium Nitride (TiGold), Nickel (black), etc. If the "zirconia" ring is simply a coating of zirconia, then what is the ring made from and why coat the ring with a second coating? I also thought that zirconia was a cubic form of zircon, a mineral used as a gem. If there any of you folks can enlighten me, please send a note to me at mickgylblm@earthlink.net. I will be much obliged. Thanks.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 14, 2005 11:43PM

Tim,
If you use the concept system to build that rod, those TiGold guides should only set you back around $36 at the most. (Smaller, cheaper guides) Looks like your planning for a "line of flight system" which always costs more, weights more, doesn't cast any better, and takes some of the sensitivity away. There is a article in the Library explaining the concept system.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 09:15AM

Another thing I always now use the Fuji Concept guides for the transition guides from butt to chock only because I beleve they are the only ones that give the correct size ring at a very good height for this.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 15, 2005 10:43PM

The Baston catalog has a page about the Forecast Guide Ring / Frame Materials. Here is a link to the online version: [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster