I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

two piece trolling rods
Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.88.145.113.usawide.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 07:37PM

I have a customer that is asking me to build 2 offshore trolling rods, 2 piece, 20-30 pound class, 5 foot, to make it easier to travel with. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they had built any two piece trolling rods and what blanks did you use. And how did you like it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: two piece trolling rods
Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: September 13, 2005 07:51PM

You might try Graphite USA.. they will make any of their rod blanks in 2-piece models for an extra fee... I was quoted a $40 extra fee for one rod that I inquired about.

Erik

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: September 13, 2005 07:52PM

You might try Graphite USA.. they will make any of their rod blanks in 2-piece models for an extra fee... I was quoted a $40 extra fee for one rod that I inquired about.

Erik

Posted by: Nathan Brock (---.mkethn01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2005 01:03AM

What about using a uni-butt or a ferruled reel seat. It wouldn't make two equal pieces, but at least the rear grip and reel seat would be a seperate piece.

Nathan

Posted by: Martin Ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: September 14, 2005 01:25AM

I think your customer would really like a 5' rod that the handle and reel seat detached from the rod. I've built several and have really appreciated their portability. Infact I'm taking two with me on an offshore trip next month. Here's how I would build it. First get any reasonably priced stubby blank and cut the butt end off to overall length of 42". Next get a two piece reel seat with ferrule and lock nut that will accomodate both the reel size and the blank diameter. Epoxy the rod butt into the ferrule. Check with the sponsors and buy a tuff butt or slick butt and matching gimble. Configure so the length of the reel seat, tuff butt and gimble are approximately 18" long. I usaully run a length of oak dowel inside the tuff butt into the reel seat for rock solid support and weight. Epoxy everyting together. Place foregrip, tip, and guides on and you're finished. The shorter length rods give the fisherman a much greater advantage when fighting fish and are less tiresome. A butt heavy rod is easier to keep upright as well. You should be able to build this type rod very inexpensively. Hope this helped.
Martin

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: September 14, 2005 09:14AM

Why not just go with a uni-butt? Jesse

Posted by: Martin Ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: September 14, 2005 09:37PM

A uni-butt would be a great choice. However, I can assemble and customize the type described above for about 1/3 the cost of the uni.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: September 15, 2005 12:28PM

Once you got above the cane pole level, fishing is not a cheap sport. Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster