I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dual Purpose Surf Rod
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 04:12AM

I have a Surf rod I use with a Spinning Reel. As is common with Surf Rods the First (Butt) Guide is on the Butt Section while all the other guides are on the Tip Section.

I was wondering if I could adapt it to serve as both a Spinning rod and a Bumper rod. If I add a Bumper Guide halfway between the Butt Guide and the Second Guide then it seems that by I rotating one section 180 degrees and stringing the line through the Bumper Guide I could use it with a Conventional Reel. By rotating it back and ignoring the Bumper Guide it would work with a Spinning Reel.

I am not csure if there wojuld be any adverse effect from placing the effective spine opposite itself on the two sections. Recent postings indicate that the issue of effective spine placement is not of critical importance. Almost all the action is in the Tip Section where the guides will always be on the bottom. Since the Butt Section of a surf rod is quite rigid I do not expect any noticeable change in rod performance.

The kepy issue seems to be the difference in line paths and the hjeight of the reels and the guides...particularly the Butt Guide. In order for this to work well I might have to find reels that are close in height and fine tune the guide sizes and placement. I would never want to build a rod that is mediocre at two tasks when it can be excellent at one. I wonder if anyone tried this.
Thanks for the chance to brainstorm.
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dual Purpose Surf Rod
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 06:33AM

Maybe if you ferral the handle(like the old wooden ones)you could wrap a guide on each side of the rod and then just twist the handle to align whatever reel you want to use.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Matthew Robinson (---.49.123.35.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 12:41PM

I think that would work well. I have a surf rod that i use as a dual purpose rod, works fine. I think i used a 30 stripper guide. I havn't spireled it though. just flip the whole thing around. baitcasters don't care as much as spinners do.

the only thing you might not like is having the bumper guide there, when you are using a spinner. but it probably won't hang the line. Do it, you can always just take the one (bumper) guide off and you havn't lost anything.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 13, 2005 03:47PM

Trey at Hatteras Outfitters makes Dual Purpose surf rods. We test casted one at a NERBs event side by side with other set ups - with braid it doesnt much matter, use a 25 BMNAG as far out as you can for both set ups, and work down from there. It casted really well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster