I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chuck for turning down inserts
Posted by: Dan Colville (---.bflony.adelphia.ne)
Date: September 12, 2005 12:54PM

Hey guys. I have a delta midi lathe LA 200. I wanted to get a supernova pinjaws but cant afford it. Can someone tell me a good chuck to spin down butt caps and reel seat inserts that isnt an arm and a leg? I want good quality i just cant afford it right now. Also what would i attach to my lathe to drill a hole though butt cap and insert.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chuck for turning down inserts
Posted by: Jim Little (---.49.118.238.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 01:36PM

I also have that Delta lathe. I got a 3 jaw chuck from Penn State Industries...the screw on type for the headstock. You will need a drill chuck with a MT2 taper for the tailstock.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:27PM

I've got PSI's 3-Jaw, and 3-Jaw mini thanks to Andy Dear's reccomendation. Use them both for different applications.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:28PM

Penn State [www.pennstateind.com] [www.pennstateind.com] Just make sure you get the size to fit your lathe

Mike

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: September 12, 2005 06:23PM

If your inserts are already round (doubtful) then a 3-jaw chuck is OK. If they're square, then you need a 4-jaw scrolling chuck. I got a Teknatools Nova Precision Midi Chuck from Woodcraft Supply on sale for $79.99 and I love it. To grip 1" square insert blanks, you'll also need the 25mm pin jaws or the 35mm spigot jaws.

The PSI 3-jaw mini chuck is useless for turning inserts and butt caps. I know because I bought one. It's fine for gripping mandrels but that's about it.

Date: September 12, 2005 06:33PM

Check the post a few above this for a real good deal on a 4 jaw chuck

Mike

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 10:58PM

You don't need a 4 jaw chuck. I have the 4 jaw Barracuda but use a spur center instead to turn the blank round and then put it in the 3 jaw. The 4 jaw chuck is great to have especially at that price but you'll still need the 3 jaw to hold the mandrels. I don't believe the 4 jaw closes down small enough to hold 3/8 or smaller mandrels.

Tony

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 11:24PM

The Nova Precision Midi Chuck will hold a 1/4" mandrel, I just checked.

Date: September 12, 2005 11:57PM

One thing that the 4 jaw can do that my 3 jaw can't is hold a square or odd shaped piece of wood so that I can bore it and then put it on a mandrel and turn. IMO it's worth the price if for nothing else! My 3 jaw has a max capacity of 1 1/8" which means I have to turn the piece down to that and then put it in the chuck to drill while crossing my fingers that the whole is straight, as there is No room for error if it isn't! With a 4 jaw, I can pretty much put any size, shape piece in it and drill, then put on a mandrel and turn concentric to the hole. (I think)!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 08:50PM

If the blank isn't very close to square, the the hole won't be in the middle, nor will it usually hold well in the chuck unless you have one in which the jaws adjust independently. I've tried boring the square blanks while held in the 4 jaw but didn't find any advantage. What works best for me is to turn the blank just round with the spur and live centers and then place it in either the 3 or 4 jaw chuck keeping it lined up with the live center whilst tightening the chuck. I place the tool rest sideways with the end barely touching the insert and gently support it with my left hand to stabilize it while I start to bore it with the drill chuck. When I mount it on the mandrel it's very close to center. I think the initial bite of the drill bit (even pilot bits) tries to torque the blank off center a tad.
The 4 jaw utility chuck on sale at psi only closes down to 1/2".

Tony

Date: September 13, 2005 09:20PM

Tony,

The advantage (to me) would be that I can chuck a piece that is 1 1/2 or bigger into the 4 jaw and bore it, whereas I cannot chuck anything over 1 1/8" in my 3 jaw. Only closing to 1/2" with the 4 jaw has no effect on me as once I have it bored, I will be able to put it on a mandrel and finish it either in the 3 jaw or using a spur and live center. I'm not saying that this is the best way but I'm pretty knew to this and need all of the room for error that I can get.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster