I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why are spinning rod blanks so short?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 11:36AM

Just got back from Salmon fishing with my older brother and he had somewhat of a difficult time learning to "chuck n' duck" with a 10' fly rod from my boat. So I thought I would build him a spinning rod for next season as this may be a lot easier for him. But the majority of spinning blanks I find are in the 6'6" - 8' range and I would like to find maybe a 3 piece in a 10' blank but no luck so far.

I know some people build spinning rods on fly blanks and I may have to resort to that to get the length I want. Nick Dazer forwarded me Mudhole's sale on a Cascade 10' blank I think but that was a 12/13 wt blank and I don't think I need something quite that heavy. Wouldn't a 10' 10wt fly blank be sufficient for an easy throwing spinning rod for 15#-20# Salmon? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why are spinning rod blanks so short?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2005 12:46PM

There should be plenty of "salmon/steelhead" blanks that fit the bill for what you want. You can build them either in spinning or casting configuration equally well and most run 8' or more in length.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 10:02PM

Hi Tim,
Check out the Batson Rainshadow model HS1021F. They are 8'6" and will handle kings easily.
Also, the G.Loomis STR1025 8"6" would be a great choice but at least twice the price as the Batson.
The Batson HS1021F has a 20 lb. line rating and the Loomis is 17 lb.
I have casting rods made with both blanks and love both of them but I was surprised to realize I like the
Rainshadow better for casting spinners for kings here on Sacramento River.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 13, 2005 01:03AM

The Dan Craft 10 ft 7 to 8 wt FT might work if your need a 4 piece blank. If storage/travel isn't in the works I'd go with the 2 piece spin/cast blanks in the length you want. The midwest guys like the 4 - 8 through 6 -10 lb blanks the most it seems. I believe Dan told me he uses a 6 wt FT for steelhead. Fished a Thorne Bros rod built on a 10 ft 7 wt Thomas & Thomas that seems to work very well years ago. Just built on the 9 ft 8 wt FT and it CCd out as a X-fast tipped 10 wt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster