I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Paints
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: September 11, 2005 09:13PM

I have been doing a little experimenting over recent months. Krylon Fusion works well but needs a good clear coat to really make it pop. Createx Airbrush Paints work even better as do the duplicolor paints and the auto spray paints (great metallics there). I have so far had the best results with the Createx airbrush paints (esp the Auto Air Series) as I tend to bee too heavy handed with aerosol spray paints and often have drip problems. I know this is totally my fault but old habits are hard to break.

The Creaxtex Auto Air Series has an excellent color selection including shifters and flairs. They spray very well, give good coverage with light coats, and the need to be "heat set" has not posed much of a problem.

What can I say....I like building funky colored rods.

Must be some kind of disease.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Paints
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2005 11:19PM

What are you using to spray the createx with? I've been thinking HARD about this.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 01:59AM

Pretty sure that Derek uses an airbrush. The Iwata is about the best out there; Badger is pretty good, too. Createx can be found with a Google search, I'm reasonably sure!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 02:14AM

Thanks Putter!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 03:13AM

I've had great luck with a paint for Lexan R/C car bodies called "Pactra" that's available at hobby Stores. It's got a great flex agent in it, comes in aerosol cans as well as bottled for air brush use and best of all comes in a VERY wide variety of colors including "electric's" and "candy's". I shoot it from a Paasche model "H" airbrush (about $55), then coat it with Perma Gloss to keep it from scratching. As far as prep, i simply knock the gloss off the blank with a maroon (medium grit) Scotchbrite pad before spraying.

Something to note is that some of the colors are transparent and require a base cote of a different color to make them "pop". The hobby shop should be able to direct you on this. The range of effects that you can get with this stuff is huge and I've never had a problem with fading or checking.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 12, 2005 08:05AM

Heck if you are spraying with an airbrush, why not just go with the auto two part urethains paints.
Can be thined for a blank for less weight, and I have never seen a car color fade
Rig a paint booth to vent it out side, even into a water bucket so it does not fly around the neighborhood.

You could also pick up custom car mags and do blanks the same way they do. Just with less and thinner materials.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2005 08:14AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 10:51AM

No Two Part Finishes for me I HATE THEM.....Putter is tying to ease me into them slow but it is a painful process. I use an entry level Badger 250 Airbrush hooked up to a Coleman 2-Gallon Compressor I got for less than $50 from Pep Boys.

Thanks for the recommendation Mark. I will have to give that paint a look!

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 12, 2005 01:58PM

Mark...are you spraying the permagloss also or what? Everytime I've tried to apply permagloss to a painted surface it always tends to lift the paint I guess due impart to brush strokes.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2005 01:00AM

As far as the perma Gloss lifting paint, I think it has to do with the paint (epoxy VS. lacquer, etc) more so than the application. I suppose it (Perma Gloss) could be sprayed, however I don't have a large enough needle & seat for my airbrush to do it. It would have to be thinned quite a bit to work with my set-up. It could be thinned some I'm sure, but I didn't want to run the risk of altering the make-up of the finish, making it brittle, etc.... I'm sure you can get a better answer from Trondak (U-40) on thinning it than I could give you.

I actually apply it with my HAND, which is pretty messy and may even prevent me from having more Children in the future. Kidding... I've tried it with a brush, but never seem to be able to get rid of the brush marks and from the smell of the solvents in it, I sure wouldn't want to try flame leveling it. A friend turned me on to just rubbing it on THIN with a bare hand. I tried doing it with a surgical glove at first, but just couldn't get it as even as he did bare handed. This too you might want to check with Trondak (as far as safety) before you wind up out of the Baby business too!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2005 10:42AM

Do a search for PermaGloss here on this site - the best way to apply it has been covered many times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster