I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

saltwater fly rod advice
Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: September 09, 2005 01:52PM

I've been fishing the beach on the southern Outer Banks (Emerald Isle, NC) for a few years now, all with spinning equipment. As I contemplate retirement early next year, and associated plans to spent more time at the beach, I'd like to get back to some fly fishing -- I used to do quite a bit of it here in central Pennsylvania. As well as the different type of fishing, it would give me an excuse to build some additional rods.

I was looking at the MudHole sale site referenced earlier today on the forum, and am wondering about the suitability of the Cascade RXF9012/13 9' 2pc. 12/13wt. fly blank they're selling for fishing the beach for blues, spanish, and false albies. I know nothing about the blank or what lendth/weight is needed for surf fishing.

Advice please? Thanks in advance.

Bilgee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: saltwater fly rod advice
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: September 09, 2005 02:15PM

I fish the OBX North of you. imo, a 12/13 wt would be unnessarily heavy for the beach - both in terms of power and rod weight. I usually fish an 8wt (9' Allstar Austin) or 9 wt (an old T&T factory that won't give up the ghost so that I can justify building a replacement). I like the 8wt for just about every inshore species, plus I do not kill my arm (too much) casting it over the course of the day. If the wind is high and/or I'm chucking and ducking really big Clouser, Decievers, etc, I'll move up to the 9wt.

Some other things: Buy the best reel you can afford (or barely not afford) it is what will bear the brunt of the big fish, buy or make a stripping basket, string a high quality intermediate sinking line, keep your spinning rod for searching for holes and sloughs and days the wind is blowing 30 knots right into you face.

Posted by: Dave Gibson (---.metrocast.net)
Date: September 09, 2005 02:24PM

Bil,
I build a lot of flyrods here in New England for surf fisherman, and more and more are looking at a 10' rod that can be handled almost like a spey rod. We have a line of rods that allows our clients to choose a 2 handed extension or fighting butt for the large stripers that are starting to make their fall migration south. 2 handed casting allows a good caster to get 100 feet of line into the water for fish that aren't in the breakers hitting the bunker up here.
A 10' rod gives the angler just enough additional height to get the cast over heavy surf if need be.
9-10-11 wgt rods are the norm for striper, SBFT's, etc. up to 70 pounds.

Steve is correct about the reel and the stripping basket

Hope this helps

Posted by: Denny Fosburg (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2005 04:36PM

OK guys..... I'm gonna jump in here and ask a couple of questions. I have built 2 rods and am in the process of gathering materials and tools to build more at home(I built these through a local fly shop).
I have a friend who is going to Southern Florida this winter for a couple of weeks and he asked if I would build him a fly rod suitable for sea trout, red fish, snook, et al.
Being a new guy, can you give me some ideas of what would make a good flats rod? I would like a couple of ideas if possible, something I can suggest to him so I at least sound semi-intelligent!!!
Sorry Bil, don't mean to bust into your thread, but I thought perhaps both of us could gain something here.
I see from your email you are a Lion....too bad! I am a Spartan!! I only wish I lived closer to PSU so I could take advantage of the fly fishing classes there. I hear they are excellent!

Thanks for any help any of you can provide.

Denny

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: September 09, 2005 04:37PM

Thanks Dave and Steve for the info -- to bad to hear what you had to say though, 'cause a $10 on-sale blank would have been great to get. However, I'll listen and wait until a suitable 8 or 9-wt blank appears on sale somewhere in the future.

This forum is great -- there always seems to be someone out there who has the information and/or experience you need and is willing to share!

Bilgee

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: September 09, 2005 05:50PM

Dave - thanks for bringing up the 2 handed option. I fished with a guy a couple of summers ago off Charleston SC who was fishing a 11 7wt set up 2 hand. He could put a Clouser on an oyster bar that I could barely see, pick it up if no strike and place it a few feet down the bar without false casting or spooking he fish. Your post brought back up a project to replace the T&T factory with a new 2 hander. I just have to learn to cast it.

Denny - I also get to fish SW FLA and the Keys. In any flats skiff you will usually find a whole arsenal of rods strung and ready to cast. But I think most guys down there would say that if they could only have one rod with them it would be a fast action 9' 8wt (some dedicated Bone guys might say 7wt). This is one of the reasons I built my Austin. I included a REC AL seat with fighting butt and used Fuji SIC Ti frame guides. imo, it is a great set up for Snook in mangroves. The only times it is not what I use is when the wind is really up or bigger Tarpon are being targeted.

Posted by: Denny Fosburg (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2005 07:22AM

Steve...
Thanks for the input. This certainly helps! This gives me something to suggest.

Stupid question.... would I change the guides away from single foot to something different? Is there a style of guide that may be better than another? I would suspect the handle and seat would be more personal preference for him than something "standard" so I am not too concerned about that.

This is a great site...I am learning something everytime I come in here!!

Bil - sorry.... I should have said Nitnay Lion!!

Denny Fosburg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster