I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Forum Load Speed
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 11, 2005 11:17AM

Good I'm not.
Common sence, If you give it all for free, you make no money

It costs plenty to publish the mag, it was nice as it was - then a better and glosser pages, that costs money

I'm sure no one will cry if I don't want to pay because to many things are given away for ( nothing )

It don't make sence!! I'll tell the Cable company to give me free cable.

It is not my fault if I have to pay for this site - because all the infor that once was paid for is now free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2005 11:56AM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 11, 2005 12:45PM

I would gladly donate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give it some serious thought, Tom. There are more and more sites that have an optional button where one can send a contribution if they choose (none of which are even remotely as valuable as this one!). You don't have to solicit or change anything, just give us the option to contribute (sounds better that "donate") if we choose to

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2005 12:46PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2005 05:35PM

Tom,
I agree completely with Ross and Cliff. I would be more than happy to pay $10 or even more.

Cliff,
Do you get a lot of dates from this site?????

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 11, 2005 05:46PM

Why not have a "Friends of Rodbuilders. Org Continuing Education Forum" or some such, for those of us who would be willing to help out. Contributers would have no special advantages above free access, just like we have now. I suspect many folks would help out.

Stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2005 06:28PM

I appreciate the suggestions, but at this time I'm not prepared to start charging a fee for using this site nor will I accept donations (thanks, but keep it and buy yourself some more rod building items).

I do know that most of the RodMaker Magazine subscribers do not use this site. And most of this site's users (some 110,000+ of them) do not subscribe to the magazine. The crossover between the two is actually very slight at best.

Yes it is expensive to operate this site. I could raise the sponsor fees, charge an admission price, etc., but for now I'm not going to do that. The site speed isn't so bad yet that something has to be done right this instant, and I don't get paid for site traffic so how much the site gets is really not important. People will just have to decide if waiting a few seconds for the page to load is worth the amount and kind of information they get here. But I wouldn't be upset with anyone that decides to use a speedier site.

The idea of a button that allows people to send donations of their own accord is a nice idea, but it just goes against my grain. I'll forego it for the time being, but I do appreciate the idea.

Bill,

I took a handful of articles out of the magazine just to be able to point people to some basic information concerning questions that get asked here time and time again. But the overall small number of articles (20?) that I've put up in our online library here, still pales in comparison to the number that have appeared in the magazine. It's not even close.

In 8 years RodMaker Magazine has presented the craft with a far greater number of, and better quality articles, than any website, other magazine or book/s. (And anyone who is even remotely qualified as a publisher and understands how to count column inches or what constitutes a reprinted article, what stands as editorial and what counts as technical, will not argue this point.) Most of the new techniques and methods around today (not all, but most) are the direct result of their original publication in RodMaker Magazine. Don't worry - most of the new stuff that takes place in rod building will still see the first light of day in the magazine, not this site.

So, I don't think it would be wise for anyone to assume that this site is now, nor would ever be, a substitute for RodMaker Magazine. Just two totally different mediums with different goals in mind.

Dr. Hanneman developed a system that could be very helpful to milions of fishermen. In the beginning I told him that I'd help him reach them and that we'd start with the rod builders first. But now it's time to go further with it than the magazine can take it. The only way to reach the general fishing public is to make it easy and inexpensive for everyone to access. Thus, the new Common Cents Website. But I won't be doing this with other information in the magazine. I considered the CCS somewhat of a special case.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 11, 2005 08:21PM

I was just hereing of not making money, but seeing a lot of free stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I love this place, and if I was making the money that others were, I could donate also. I just think you give a little to much away for free.
Us poor folk have to worry about money. For whatever that's worth.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 11, 2005 10:50PM

Emory Harry asked: "Cliff, ... Do you get a lot of dates from this site?"

Emory: -(For the record)- I may be a bit dainty compared to the Crocodile Hunter, but I ain't no “dandy.” I ain’t THAT kind of guy! ... But I have made a number of fishing buddies that I know I could go fishing with next week if I could get myself there. For bull reds near Pensacola; or for snook in South Florida; or for surf-runners in St. Augustine or the Outer Banks or Virginia. Or go Party Boat fishing again out of Sheepshead Bay (Brooklyn). Or go tuna-wishing out of Boston. That kind of sympatico thru RBO is worth way more than the dead-end and lame match-making that most of those dating websites provide.

Even the least expensive dating websites run $10 per month. And the websites that are free usually are filled with women who are all talk and no action. They just want some pen-pal flattery to drive the blues away. They don’t want a real man, or even a gentleman; they want a neutered pet. Or worse yet, most of those broads are a disaster waiting to happen, looking for a sugar daddy so they can quit their hopeless job and ruin their next man’s life on a full-time basis. –IMO. If you got a good & peaceable wife, thank God for her. (Right now, I'm still just glad for RBO.)

Well, Emory, I'm glad you're feeling better. Glad to see you back in action, and your sense of humour back in full swing. LOL, -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2005 10:56PM by Cliff Hall.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster