I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Need some imput
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:34AM

Would You Buy a Rod from This Guy ??? [willierods.com]
If not -- Why ?

Use the email on the site. Thanks for any imput.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some imput
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:56AM

Bill,

Very nice site!!!!

Mike

Date: September 08, 2005 11:00AM

Mike
Thanks. I keep getting clicks on it - know I am wording some thing wrong, but can not put my finger on it?

Don't want to say I am the best in the world - I'll leave that to Billy V. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2005 11:04AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: kim nordblad (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: September 08, 2005 11:02AM

I sure would get one from you if I did´nt build ém myself :-)
Very good site.
-Kim-

Date: September 08, 2005 11:12AM

Kim
I got to have you tell that too all the people clicking on the site, and don't buy, but I'm paying for .
Need some thing too " hook " them ??

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 11:18AM

Nice Site Bill. I am big on pictures. I would have move Close up view of your work. Show a close up of how you do the special wrap on the guides that you talk about in the beginning. Also maybe a fish picture with the rod in it as a spacer between paragraphs. I am a Pollock I like the pictures. Did you do it yourself?

Date: September 08, 2005 11:43AM

Thanks Doc

Yes I did. I have just added some fish and some rods inbetween some of the paragraphs.
maybe some pictures of the forhan wrap and the difference between the Cone of flight and Concept guide placement Hmmmmm
Hay - maybe free ?? Naaaaaaa

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 12:09PM

I am really jealous of you computer wizards. You and Mike B. are artists with this stuff.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 12:18PM

No....I wouldn't...........Why ????? Because that's the same way I make my own....LOL Just kidding......great website.....Might have to get you to do me one some day....

Date: September 08, 2005 12:19PM

Bill,

I think that it would help to have your pictures link to larger pix when someone clicks on them so they can see the detail close-up. I wouldn't be discouraged about visitors to the site not buying! I would guess that probably one out of many thousands ever buy from a site. (How many sites have you visited many times without ever buying?)

The main thing is to get your product in front of the public and I think that you've done a good job of that!!!
What software did you use to create the site??

Mike

Date: September 08, 2005 12:19PM

Bill,

I think that it would help to have your pictures link to larger pix when someone clicks on them so they can see the detail close-up. I wouldn't be discouraged about visitors to the site not buying! I would guess that probably one out of many thousands of visitors ever buy from a site. (How many sites have you visited many times without ever buying?)

The main thing is to get your product in front of the public and I think that you've done a good job of that!!!

Mike

Date: September 08, 2005 12:21PM

Bill,

I think that it would help to have your pictures link to larger pix when someone clicks on them so they can see the detail close-up. I wouldn't be discouraged about visitors to the site not buying! I would guess that probably one out of many thousands of visitors ever buy from a site. (How many sites have you visited many times without ever buying?) Ask some of the guys that have sites, how many sales that they have actually gotten directly from the site?

Mike

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 08, 2005 12:30PM

Bill Boettcher - Check your e-mail for some criticism from me that is constructive and also from the perspective of a "cold call" customer. Hopefully it will be useful. We are all very chummy around here. But those people that are clicking into your website and walking out on you don't know you from Adam. There is always just a lot of curiosity on the Internet. But a certain percentage of # of sales inquiries per # of website hits is to be expected. If you are falling below that pecentage (whatever it is, maybe 5%, which is what it tends to be in junk-snail-mailing fulfillment houses or charitable solicitations), then you are right to think that you are missing something. I think my e-mail to you may actually hit on one or two of them. Best Wishes, Bill. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Date: September 08, 2005 12:38PM

Got the email Cliff. Nice ideas Thanks. I'll check my spelling --Again Your right, more details.
Mike
Mike
Mike LOL this is what I use, price is nice [new.register.com]

Date: September 08, 2005 01:31PM

Bill,

Check their Help section and look for "Thumbnails" It should allow you to use small photo's and link them to large ones!

Mike

Date: September 08, 2005 01:33PM

Thanks Mike. Will do

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2005 02:32PM

Bill,

A website has to be another part of a larger sales picture. Most people aren't comfortable just ordering or buying custom rods from a website. Generally, what a website does for you, is to give you some legitimacy when potential customers meet you at a show, look at your rods (sometimes skeptically) and then ask, "Do you have a website?"

In and of itself, custom rod websites aren't going to generate many sales. You just have to look at them as one more tool in a larger sales toolbox.

For what it's worth, here are two things that turn people away from websites-

1. Too many photos that are the wrong file format and take too long to load. 50% of the internet users in the Country are still on dial-up modems. Photos are great, unless a guy has to wait 3 minutes for them all to load. You've got about 30 seconds, maximum, to spike their interest. Any longer than that and they're likely gone - surfed on over to the next site in line.

2. Too much text to read. A website should be a means to attract people into contacting you directly. Too much text turns them off - the web is a mostly visual medium and people won't spend a lot of time reading your life story or every aspect of why they should buy a rod from you. You have to hit them quick and hook them just as quickly. You can fill in the gaps when they call or email you.

Date: September 08, 2005 02:50PM

Thanks Tom Of course your right, but I don't get out to fish much and there for don't get that Exposure.
Did not think I would make a million, but at least pay for the materials ??
Trying to find that Hook, and that Trust thing. Since they don't know me from that rock in the river?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.emrsn.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 03:14PM

Bill,

Excellent step taken, good start for a website, something many of us are wanting to do and publish.
I sent you a separate message with a few comments.

For example, a link to this website would not hurt.

Good Luck !

Ricardo Font
Puerto Rico Rods

ps
and how about 50 % discount to senior citizens......
...a bad joke.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 03:25PM

Since you asked for iMput, I'll add my 2 negative cents. Bill, re-read the text you have written on your site OUT LOUD.Tehre are many examples of poor GRammar, and teh sentences jump all over teh place. Same thing with CAPITOL letters, some words shouldn't be capitolized in teh middle of a sentence. You are not alone, people make tons of money writing resume's for other people who have a hard time writing a Professional document.

An example: " Commercially made rods or ( off the shelf ) as I call them, are mass produced and are good for about 70% of the fishing public." When you use parentheis, generally if you remove them from teh sentence it will still make sense. Removing them from that sentence, " Commercially made rods or as I call them, are mass produced and are good for about 70% of the fishing public." - I know what you are saying, but it just looks unprofessional and if I were looking to buy a one of a kind rod, Id want it professionally done.

I hope that's not offending, i'm not the poster child for spelling & garmmar myself, but there's a big difference between posting on a message board, and having a website.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster