I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Charlotte shipping
Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:16AM

I'm planning on doing some serious shopping while at the Charlotte show, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get blanks back home. Is the best method to bring a tube and use it as checked luggage, or is a 7' or 7 1/2' tube too long for the airlines to accept? How have you all dealt with this at the last 2 shows?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Charlotte shipping
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:23AM

I'm trying to figure that out, also

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:40AM

Is there a shipping company near the show to bring them too and have them shipped ??

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2005 11:03AM

You can probably find a UPS store or similar near the show, or certainly somewhere in Charlotte on Monday. But you know that's going to be expensive (of course, depending on how much money you save and how many blanks you buy, it might not be all that expensive once you break it down into cost per blank).

Some enterprising rod builder could probably also do well with a booth, doing nothing but packing builders' rod blanks and then shipping (and insuring) them out by FedEx or UPS the following day. Just an idea.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 11:58AM

That's where the problem comes in for me. I'll be home and back at work by the time Monday rolls around. Will the airlines not take a tube as checked luggage? Or do you just have to pack it extra well to make up for the guys with destructive tendencies working in baggage handling?

Date: September 08, 2005 12:09PM

If you know the airline you will use, try to call them

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 12:23PM

I, for one, would love to see someone at the show that would handle shipping for those of us that are flying. I bought a LOT of stuff last year but no blanks because I had no way to get them to Michigan. Having flown, I had no time or transportation to go to FedEx, etc.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2005 12:26PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: September 08, 2005 01:02PM

I'm sure the airlines will take a long tube - but you'd better call and see what their size limits are. You'd also need to know, as you probably already do, that the airlines baggage handlers are rougher on stuff than any common shipper out there. FedEx and UPS handle everything with extremely tendor care compared to these guys.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 01:58PM

I bought quite a few blanks from dealers last year; just had them ship them to me. I'll go that way again this year.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: italo Busi (---.44-151.net24.it)
Date: September 08, 2005 03:10PM

hello, I am an Alitalia crew member, and for those I concern, the size of hand baggage not permitted to bring on board the blanks , also because it is considerate dangerous good from the new security regulations. But is possible to send it in the stovage compartment on board .
Ciao

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 06:53PM

I am making a trip of it and will be driving from Massachusetts. If you're in the area and wanna see if we can work something out, email me.

Greg - Email me either way. A fellow Textron employee.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 08:08PM

If you are planning on buying blanks at the show, why not invest in a Bazuka rod travel case, and bring it empty. Or better yet, buy one here in Charlotte at Bass Pro so you don't need to lug it both directions. They are made for travelling with rods. Put the blanks in a rod sock, wedge some of your laundry between them to keep them from rattling, and check it. It's not all that much longer than skis or golf bags. They get checked all the time.

Mike Barkley, if you want a Bazuka waiting for you when you get here, let me know.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:39PM

Your hotel should accept FED Ex and UPS packages that are completely sealed and ready for shipment and hold them for pick up on Monday. If you go to Fed Ex and get the proper labels and fill them out completely and get a billing address with an acceptable charge card you can fix the package before you leave the hotel on Sunday. Go to you local Fed Ex or UPS office and fill out the necessarry paperwork for direct billing and the establishment of an account. This should work fine for all purchases made on Saturday. You should limit the length to 7 feet if it is to be shipped to your home address via Fed Ex Ground. Only those packages shipped to a business account for next day delivery can be over the 7 feet.

If you have a rental car you can buy PVC tube at the Lowes or Home Depot on Thursday.

Gon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2005 10:44PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: September 08, 2005 10:50PM

Sounds like Putters idea seems to be the easy way to go

Date: September 09, 2005 08:46AM

If you're driving and have means to transport blanks with no problem, keep in mind that this event offers you a great way to save on those longer one-piece blanks. A 10 - 12 foot one-piece rod can cost up to $100 to ship nowadays. But, if you'll alert one of the dealers before the show takes place, most are more than happy to bring in whatever blanks you want and you can then pick them up at the show and save a ton of money on those shipping charges. Not enough builders take advantage of this. Give it some thought for this year.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: September 11, 2005 09:19PM

I had my order in well before the show and Custom tackle had everything I needed packed up and ready to go. Then I started shopping again but did not need to buy any more blanks. Saved me over 100 dollars shipping costs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster