I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning Balsa Wood
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: September 06, 2005 06:15PM

I got a couple of 3" x 3" x 12" blocks of balsa that I want to turn for handles. Stuff is amazingly light (and soft) and I am wondering if a scraper will tear the wood, or, if I should just sand the whole thing? Thought I'd ask before finding out the hard way which is best.

Thanks,
NT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning Balsa Wood
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 06, 2005 06:18PM

Sand it. It tears out too easily!

Date: September 06, 2005 07:31PM

Thanks for the advice Ken. That was my inclination... the stuff sure is soft!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 07:36PM

Neil,

Bet it will make a really light handle with flocking (or leather) over it! I've been thinking about doing an Ultra lite like that.

Mike

Date: September 06, 2005 07:44PM

Yes Mike, it'll be light for sure. Feels like styrofoam. Hoping that a leather covering will keep it from denting (or showing the dents) to much.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kyamk.fi)
Date: September 07, 2005 05:26AM

I wonder what happens if you stress your rod with a balsa handle so that it flexes to the butt. Eventhough the ID of the handle will be reinforced by epoxy or what ever you use to glue it to the blank but I'd imagine that balsa due to it's stucture "will remember" this stress.? By this I mean that it might become dented, distorted etc from inside although the outer reinforced layer might stay in good shape. Sure balsa is an interesting material since it's so light but just a thought. Does anyone have experience similar to this?

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: September 07, 2005 10:16AM

Back in the 80s I made an 8" butt grip for a spin rod out of Balsa, sanded the whole thing, stained it walnut and then coated it with Flexcoat [3 or 4 coats. I gave the rod away so really don't have any follow up data. Even with the coating I am sure it would dent if hit hard enough. The only redeaming quality is that it is light in weight, sure not a good looking wood. Jesse

Date: September 07, 2005 04:25PM

What I plan to do with this is to cover it with braided leather. Something different to toy with anyway.

As for the rod bending that far down - that shouldn't be an issue in this case. It'll be a 6'6" fast action spinning or casting rod. If the rod bends that far into the handle, well, something will have gone terribly wrong.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: September 07, 2005 08:22PM

I make my own floats out of balsa and the the wood can be either really soft or really hard and any where in between. Using normal wood turning tools like the ones you use on a lathe and it should't tear the wood to shreds. I use a scraper and I haven't run into any real problems. Use it to rough out then finish with sand paper. Remember to use real light pressure on the wood.

Based on my experience with making floats and using almost every kind of finish out there the two part epoxies will work and they will work out quite nicely. The finish comes out hard and looks good too. I think what ever you use the wood will eithr dent with any amount of pressure. Good Luck

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: September 07, 2005 09:07PM

I've made a couple handles out of balsa wood. However I don't think forming the handle from a solid piece is the best way to do it. Instead, use 1/4 inch thick balsa sheet and cut rings out and use them as you would use cork rings. This will create a handle in which the grain runs 90 degrees in relation to the blank. When gluing the handle I make sure that none of the rings have their grain oreinted in the same direction.These grips seem to be much more durable than a solid piece with grain running parallel with the blank.

After shaping and sanding it can be stained and finished creating a very unique and apealling look.

Here's a pic of the first grip I made in this manner. Was in a hurry making it so this one didn't come out quite right in regard to shape and diameter.

[home.adelphia.net]

Kev

Wood Hardener
Posted by: James M Martin (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 08:50AM

Has anyone ever tried to treat the surface of a balsa grip with Minwax wood hardener?

James

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster