I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1083 Steelhead blank for saltwater?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 10:56AM

Has anybody built this one for a light saltwater spinning rig (might be made by AllStar or Cascade, I'm not sure which)? Any comments on the actual weight range when throwing light jigs and such? Seems like a light blank from the specs and I don't want anything too slow or too whippy. While I'm at it, does anybody know how light will the 1084 throw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1083 Steelhead blank for saltwater?
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2005 05:43PM

Marty,
I am not sure about the 1083 but the Rainshadow (Cascade) 1084 makes an excellent light Steelhead rod. It would work fine as a spinning rod casting jigs down to 1/4 ounce. However, most people in this part of the country think that the 1143 is a better blank for jig fishing. The 1143 is 9' 6" versis 9' and has a somewhat slower action than the 1084.
However, if you have figured out how to consistantly catch Steelhead in salt water on jigs, or any other way for that matter, you should write a book because you could sell a gazillion copies. I do not know of anyone, at least in this part of the country, that can do that.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 11:02PM

I didn't mean use it for steelhead in saltwater. Where I live (South Carolina), we wouldn't know what a steelhead is anyway. I'm thinking about steelhead blanks to use for light saltwater stuff - bombers, jigs, plastics, etc.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2005 11:27PM

Marty,
Ah, now I understand and see why you are thinking in terms of a 1083 or 1084, sometimes I can be a little dense. I would think that the Rainshadow 1084 would work great in that application. But maybe one of the guys that is very familiar with that application will jump in here and give you some better advice.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 11:40PM

my son uses a forecast sh1024 which is 8'6" 10-17 for fishing off the wharf with live bait for stripers.it is a little light but it has handled fish a little over 10 lbs no problem.we even battled a 30 lb ray back to the wharf on it. i also use the same rod for steelhead in the river along with a 1084 both have handled fish in the 10-12 lb range no problem.i have casted a 1/4 - 2/5 oz. little cleo on both of them.i also have a cabela's fish eagle II 9 foot 10-20 that i tied and like it very much in the ocean.i use it for stripers and salmon.it casts light weights fairly well.i have casted a 1/2 to 1 oz hair razor on it.my friend borrowed it one day after he had a malfunction of his rod.he used a 2 oz pencil popper and landed a 15 lb striper on it.third cast.he didn't want to give it back.i was a little scared when i saw him tie that big old popper on but i just closed my eyes and cringed thinking of the 3 inches of tip that was going to fly off of it..he used it for 2 or 3 days throwing that popper. i also have a isa 1086 which is heavy but it works good.i think a medium heavy rod will serve you well in the ocean.i would go with the rx7 ist 1085 though.the forecast rx6 are a little whippy.i have tried them all in forecast.they are tough rods but way more parabolic than the rx7.just my thoughts..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster