I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Japanese style heay duty saltwater spinning rods
Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 09:01PM

Does anyone know what kind of blanks, reel seats guides that the Japanese use on thier heavy duty spinning rods. I tried to find some information online but couldnt find much. I would like to build a spinning rod for big game fish that can handle like they use in Japan. I found some sites in Japan that sell them that can handle 15lbs-25lbs of drag, but they are atleast $600+. Anyone know anything about these type of rods?

Thanks,
Al

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Japanese style heay duty saltwater spinning rods
Posted by: Nathan Brock (---.mkethn01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 09:07PM

Why not just use a conventional boat rod blank? A blank is a blank is a blank, whether it's sold as a conventional blank or spinning blank. Don't know how long you plan to go but the Ugly-Stik GBU-846 makes a great spinning rod, if you can find one. Graphite USA makes some blanks that would work great as well.

Nathan

Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 09:22PM

Yea I was thinking a regular blank would do. But The ones they use are real heavy in the midsection and have light enough top to cast a good distance. Dont really know, Im a little lost

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.156ce.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: September 06, 2005 09:02AM

Hi Al,

You can find alot of information on Matagi's website (www.matagi.co.jp). In Japan and my part of the world (South East Asia), jigging and popping, spining style is very popular. Jigs and poppers range from 150 to 400 gm.

Spin -jig: These rods are either single piece or two piece butt joint. Most are between 5.5 to 6 ft and line weight between 20 (PE 2) to 80 lbs ( PE 8 ). These are very powerful and parabolic rods and are ideal for jigging in deep waters using heavy metal jigs. Reels like the Shimano Stella SW 10,000 and 20,000 are used to pull in samsons, giant trevallies, yellowfin tunas and the likes.

Popping: This style is most popular and most rods are two piece, butt joint type. Normal length is between 7 to 9 ft. Matagi has a range of Huntting Dale blanks which are ideal for such application. I have just completed one and will send you a photo later. Heavy poppers between 200 to 400 gms can be tossed 100 yds on special constructed boats meant for popping. Popular species caught this way are either giant trevallies or yellowfin tunas.

Both spin-jig and popping are so popular here we almost forget how to bottom fish. Popping, especially, is also very popular sport where hundreds will converge in open spaces of reservoirs for Sunday practices.

There is also another Singapore website that you can visit ( www.pelagicangler.com).

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 06, 2005 09:43AM

Google - Malaysia fishing. There is a forum there where the Moderator and a few members should be able to help. It may take a while to get an answer, but the Moderator (UBob) is extremely helpful. Goh, who recently posted a sine wave thread is also a member there, and has been very helpful as well.

I think the GUSA blanks they use were the Predator, and either the Beast or Dragon. Don't quote me on that though.

Posted by: Stephen Pratt (---.dialip.maxnet.co.nz)
Date: September 10, 2005 03:47AM

Hi Al,
we have a range of 100% carbon heavy duty Spin Jig blanks. They range from 5'2" to 6'6" in length and 30-50lb and 50-80lb ratings.
Thanks
Stephen Pratt
CTS fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster