I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly blank for a bait casting rod?
Posted by: Jaime Choy (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 04:25AM

As rod blanks get longer and longer it seems like a 10' casting rod blank is very similar to a 10' fly blank. Has anyone tried making a casting rod out of a fly blank? If so, how do the weight ratings compare to monofilament line weights? And more importantly, how would it correspond to the lure sizes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly blank for a bait casting rod?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2005 08:22AM

Fly line weight numbers do not correspond to casting line lb test ratings in any way, shape or form. Fly line is measured by weight, mono and braid are rated by breaking strength. Two different things.

You can correlate fly line weights to casting lure weight by using the fly rod line weight number as the numerator and 16 as the denominator.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 08:29AM

Jamie,
If I am not mistaken, you can also use the CCS system to
find the line test and lure wt. ratings for any rod blank.
Search the library and or see the link on the upper left.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: September 05, 2005 08:41AM

Not the line test rating. That's a strictly subjective rating by the manufacturer and is sometimes based on what the actual breaking strength of the blank is and sometimes on what line they feel is within the general category for the particular use. Also remember that "pound test" ratings themselves are a bit out of whack. Test ratings mean that the line will break at some point above the rating. So, a line that breaks on a steady pull at 50lbs, can be correctly labeled as "10lb test." This is why companies often advertise that they offer the "strongest" line in a particular lb test rating - you just sell a stronger and heavier line under a lower test rating. Class rated lines are different - the line must break at or below the listed figure. So a line listed as 10lb class would break at or below 10lbs.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 09:22AM

Thanks Tom,
I never knew the pound test ratings given by the line makers meant that the product would fale "above" the rating #
by such a wide margin. Marketing, go figure? I guess that also helps with warranty claims.
With what I have just learned, it makes me wonder why rod makers stiil place those ratings on their rods. After all,
since the line makers very their ratings so much, the label on the rod really dosn't tell me very much.
Also never knew there was a difference between "test" and "class" ratings. Learn something new every day!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: September 05, 2005 09:32AM

The European tackle trade group is either working or on has already developed, a new line rating system based on breaking strength per diameter. They also found it a bit misleading for companies to try and outdo each other by rating stronger (and larger diameter) lines as lower and lower lb test ratings. No one can force a line maker to adopt the system, but as more consumers ask for it, most will be wise to adopt it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 09:35AM

What about the lure weight ratings? Are they pretty close?

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 03:53PM

I've just completed 2 12/13 fly blanks into conventional rods. They are cascade blanks. I'm using them with live bait for stripers.. Have caught some already in the teens. 20 plus shouldn't be a problem. 11 guides and a tip along with ambassador 6500 and 15lb test. Have thrown 6" bomber with it-works ok.. It is a 9' blank. any questions feel free to get back. Good luck, Bill

Date: September 05, 2005 05:49PM

Thank you guys! Lots of good information.

To Tom Kirkman: I sort of suspected that there would not be a correlation of line weights. And I also knew that the monofilament ratings are worse case ratings. As a matter of fact there are many instances when I use a drag setting best suited for the rod I use rather than the line rating. And thank you very much for that lure rating / fly line weight correlation. That was one of the key answers I was searching for.

To Bill Ballou: I am glad some one has done that before me! You said you have cast a 6" Bomber on those rods you built. Those are 7/8 oz lures aren't they? And what are the blanks you used? RX7 or RX8 blanks? How do you think they compare to a RX7 Salmon or Steelhead blank?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 10:14PM

Some fly fishing books like the Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide have recommended tippet size and strength graphs in them for different weight blanks that will put you pretty close. The salmon steelhead blanks will be faster actioned and heavier butted powerwise. Med Hvy power the IST 1025 will throw the weight but it's pushing it . I'd also look at the HS 930, HS 1021 or HS 1023. Test casted the HS 1023 as a spinning rod for one of the guys posting here a couple months ago. Threw a 1 1/2 oz Buzz Bomb from home plate outside the fence on a regulation little league diamond, center field no problem on 12 lb line.

Date: September 06, 2005 01:19AM

Thanks Spencer. I went to the Orvis web site but could not find any reference to tippet ratings to line weight. But I did find the grain equivalent on the first 30' of line for each weight. If any one is interested here it is:
Line Weight in oz

3 0.228571429
4 0.29968254
5 0.370793651
6 0.441904762
7 0.513015873
8 0.584126984
9 0.655238095
10 0.726349206
11 0.797460317
12 0.868571429

Basically, a 3 is 100 grains. And a 12 is 380 grains. And this chart also explains why Bill Ballou was able to cast the 7/8 oz lure with the rod he built.

Date: September 07, 2005 07:12PM

Jaime, glad I did something right. I relied on my guy who supplies me with blank and components. Told him what I was doing and suggested 12/13 blank. first guide is a 20# last 4 are 7's along with tip. As said before 11 guides in total. Make sure that you wrap the female ferule at least 1 1/2" to support pressure. -Bill

Date: September 08, 2005 09:44PM

Thank you Bill. Appreciate the input. I noticed that you have a higher guide density than normal. Usually it would be 1 guide per foot. But you had 11 for a 9' rod. Is it because you have the fly guides? (Lower profile).

Date: September 09, 2005 10:58PM

Jaime, both rods have fuji double footed guides and under wrapped. Most of the flex in these rods is in the upper half. I have 10 guides and the tip there. One guide on the lower half. One rod has fuji BSVLG 1-16,1-12,2-10,3-8,4-7. plus tip. Spent more money on the second set of guides has nice silver insert. That rod has 1-20, 2-16, 2-10, 2-8, 4-7, plus tip. Caught nice 15+ striper today on that rod. Has enough power- fish made nice run. Because these fish are pretty powerful underwrapping I feel is important. A under and D over. Hope all this helps. Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster