I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

OLD REEL I.D.
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 06:15PM

HI ALL,

This reel I aquired looks like a PENN SQUIDDER #140.

The reel I would like to get a date on, says R.H.Macy & Co.
Made For By OCEAN CITY MFG.CO. NEW YORK CITY
This reel has no drag , just a piece of leather that pivots off a cross bar.
Use your thumb to put resistance on spool. One lever for free-spool or lock to crank, but cranks either direction, and bearing pre-load, about 2.2 : 1 ratio

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OLD REEL I.D.
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 09:51PM

You might want to google up an old reel forum or something. You can try at www.joeyates.com but I think they are mostly for old lures. But worth a try.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 09:52PM

Dave,

I'm sure one of the members of O.R.C.A can help you out. Try here: [orcaonline.org]

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 07, 2005 10:26AM

It sounds like an old surf casting reel which is what the Penn Squidder was, the leather is the drag system. Probably late 40's thru 50's. Attaching it to a 7' to 9' bamboo surf rod will give you a nice piece of collectible surf fishing history.
Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster