I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoat is slightly tacky after drying, what can I do?
Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 04:28PM

After applying the 2nd coat of flexcoat it is still slightly tacky to the touch 2 days after. I thought a had a perfect mix but maybe I didnt. It is humid but I have kept the rod in an airconditioned room. Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this? What would happen if I added a 3rd light coat to the wraps?

Thanks
Al

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoat is slightly tacky after drying, what can I do?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 05:00PM

I would give it at least another day. The air may have something to do with it. The cure time slows down appreciably as the the temp goes down. I don't think that humidity has any affect at all on cure time.

Mike

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 05:36PM

HI AL,
You know how to mix, your first coat came out OK. How much time did you let the first application cure before second coat ? could this cause problem ?
Epoxy is a chemical interaction, temp. dose have an effect on it. AS Mike said, cooler - slower cure time.
I would put the rod in a warmer place, I might even make a quick wipe with some alcohol if still tacky.
Other problem is mix time, the wrap finish needs thurough mixing, or it can come out tacky as well.

Dave

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 07:00PM

I'll probably get reemed ( :) ) for this, but change brands, .........sure worked great for me.

DR

Date: September 04, 2005 08:09PM

Duane Richards (DR) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll probably get reemed ( ) for this, but change
> brands, .........sure worked great for me.
>
> DR

How come? What would you suggest is better?

I let the first coat dry for a day and it was dry. Then I apllied the second coat.

Date: September 04, 2005 08:37PM

Al,

Flexcoat worked for me about 50% of the time, the other 50% it just refused to dry completely. I know everyone will say "you didn't mix it right" and thats ok, because in many instances with people this may be true. I bought and used flexcoat syringes to measure and mixed/folded over 3 minutes everytime. Sometimes it worked, other times it just never dried to my likeing.

I settled on Aftcoat. Aftcoat is thinner, mixes well and works fantastic...best part: I have yet to have any more "will it dry" worries. It seemed silly to me to put all that work into a rod and have something as simple as 50/50% epoxy ruin the work.

Aftcoat with 2 coats has proven to me that I don't have to worry anymore.

DR

Date: September 04, 2005 08:46PM

No matter what the brand of finish, you will find at least half of the people that have used it don't like it or have problems for one reason or another. I would say to use whatever works for you!

Mike

Date: September 04, 2005 08:50PM

Mike is right Al.

I tried several brands and settled on the one for me.

DR

Date: September 04, 2005 09:22PM

Same Here! They all have good/bad points. Try a few and decide for yourself. Just do a search on this site and type in a brand and you will get tons of info

Mike

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 09:50PM

I'm pretty sure that Flex Coat is the #1 epoxy finish brand in the world. Isn't it what MOST commercial rod operations use? So I doubt there is anything wrong with the product itself.

I'd also just move into a warmer place for a day or so before I really got worried. You might be fretting over nothing.

Always remember to mix at least 3ccs of each part. That way you give yourself a larger margin for error in measurement.

Date: September 04, 2005 11:32PM

Yea I have built 6 rods with flexcoat and it dired great everytime.

So what are my options if it doesnt try? Whipe it down with alcohol and recoat? The first 2 coats are dry under it

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 12:12AM

AL,
I don't know about the alcohal but you can add another coat if need be.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2005 08:25AM

Do not wipe it with a solvent, that will only create a mess. You can either recoat it, or strip what you have off and start over. But wiping it with alcohol is not going to ge anything but cause a mess.

Posted by: Kenny Lucano (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 08:34AM

Great, can't wait to try some aftcoat guide coatings. I have had the last two builds come out 90% dry?? I build in a 68 degree controlled environment and mix perfectly every time. Flex Coat has been pretty good most of the time, that ain't good enough. Thanks for the heads up on another brand.

Posted by: Kenny Lucano (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 08:35AM

Great, can't wait to try some aftcoat guide coatings. I have had the last two builds come out 90% dry?? I build in a 68 degree controlled environment and mix perfectly every time. Flex Coat has been pretty good most of the time, that ain't good enough. Thanks for the heads up on another brand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster