I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Remodeling" old bamboo
Posted by: wayne chubb (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 05:16PM

I've heard it suggested that one way to get into bamboo rods inexpensively is to buy one of the lesser vintage rods, such as a Montague or H-I, and strip it back down to a blank, and rebuild it. Has anyone here ever tried it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wayne Chubb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Remodeling" old bamboo
Posted by: Bob Benton (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 08:26PM

Some of them old 3 peice 9' rods are reel dogs and not much fun. I have playing with making some banty rods out of the tip and mid sections and have come up with some realy nice 6' 3 and 4 wt rods that are alot of fun to fish. Most have been H + I as they seem to come to me here in upstase NY.

Posted by: Tim Bro (---.226.240.10.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 02:55AM

I rebuild alot of the old Japanese,H-I,and Sheakspear bamboo rods.Get them at @#$%& and local flea markets.Dont pay much over $30.00 for them though.Some times it takes the parts of two or three rods to make one good rod.Like Bob said,"some are real dogs".All I've done came out nice and the refinished bamboo is beautiful.I use a knife and/or sandpaper to scrap off the old varnish.It comes off fairly easy.Rebuild with new stuff(I use silk thread on bamboo). Color preserve and coat the whole thing with U-40 Perma Gloss,the one part kind you dont have to mix,it's made for high flex and bamboo.When your done,you'll have a 40 to 80 year old rod like new.
You'll pay more for H-I ,Shakspear,Winston,and EagleClaw+Orvis have an inpregnated bamboo thats high dollar.I dont know what they inpregnate it with,for the price ,it must be gold.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.148.181.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 04:17AM

I do it on a daily basis.. any questions, feel free to emai me privately.

Tight lines & smokin' drags

Art

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.147.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 10:02PM

Wayne;
Old cheap rods are cheap now for the same reasons they were cheap when new, namely, they are poorly made clubs. Sure, they'll flop the line out in front of you somewhere, but that's about all you can say for them. If you want to wind up with a nice rod to fish that is worth the effort to finish it out, then buy at least on of the better production rods, such as Heddon, Edwards, Phiilipson or Granger or , better yet, buy a new blank from one of the many modern makers. JMHO
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster