I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

weight of snakes vs sic ceramics
Posted by: jan rigden (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 04:49PM

Has anyone ever weighed a set of ceramic single leg guides against a set of traditional snakes? i want to put a set of sic rings on a sage 10 foot 6 weight XP but i notice that sage use the very small thin wire snakes on them and i cant help feeling that a set of sic rings is going to add too much weight to the tip and damp the action - anyone tried it ? i am hoping that a single whipping and epoxy will match the weight of a lightweight snake with two whippings but i dont know - and its an expensive mistake to make if it doesnt work.

thanks jan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weight of snakes vs sic ceramics
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2005 07:52PM

The action will not change. If you add enough weight, you can slow or reduce the blank's reaction and recovery times. I'm guessing this what you're talking about.

The SIC single foots are not at all heavy. Probably a wash between snakes with two wraps and resulting finish. I've used nothing but single foot SIC's for nearly 20 to 25 years and wouldn't think about using anything else. You won't hurt your rod's performance with these at all.

Posted by: John Dow (---.236.252.64.snet.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 10:02PM

Jan , I do recall seeing a comparison of the weights between the two , I think there were also comparisons of the steel frame vs. the titanium frames with SIC rings. A search may come up with the post , though I don't recall the title of it . I was surprised in the difference in the two incerts , the Ti frames were 1/2 the weight (of steel frames) if I'm remembering correctly . The difference in performance between SIC rings and snakes is night and day , from casting , to noise and line wear . Snake guides belong on bamboo rods or for someone looking for a retro look IMO . Have fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: jan rigden (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 05:38AM

Guys,

thanks for the replies - pretty much what i thought myself - i think it was the ultra light snakes on the factory rod that made me think twice - looks like a set of Ti frame sic's then.

cheers

jan

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: September 04, 2005 06:33AM

Make a search on my name. I posted weights of the different guides earlier this year. Fujis concept titanium top is lighter than their snake counterpart.
I use ceramic on all my rods except for REC recoils on rod I use on brushy streams and night fishing.

Posted by: mike oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2005 09:45AM

Jan,

If it helps I have standardised on Fuji T-SG single leg guides now for all my fly rods. They perform very well and their plus points far outweigh any other considerations. Snakes to me are pretty old hat. If you are cruel they are just twisted bits of wire. They allow the line too much contact with the rod shaft and they have a much shorter life on the rod than decent ceramics. For salt water I can't understand why anyone fits them unless it's price and habit.

Regards

Mike OLiver

Posted by: John Dow (---.213.252.64.snet.net)
Date: September 04, 2005 02:14PM

Jan , the Recoils are incredibly light , but they have a longer foot than most guides . Those are my choice on 2wts and lighter rods where I don't use incerts . I like the single foot light wire Recoils , they weigh almost nothing but require a little longer wrap . Have Fun , John

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster