I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glass coat
Posted by: David Albright (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 08:27AM

Seeking info, feed back on experience w/ this product.
Been using Rod smith. Ingeneral have been pretty satisfied,did have some bubbling issues w/ my last project.
thanks for any help and input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glass coat
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 08:38AM

I'm about to switch from GC to Rodsmith.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 09:00AM

I was using Glass Coat for everything. Starting to find it was a little fast to set.
Have used Rodsmith and Clear Coat nice stuff, but find that LS has a nicer set time, longer and flows much better. More level.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2005 09:05AM

Glass Coat is an exceptional epoxy finish, if you like the specific properties it offers. It handles and acts very much like Flex Coat (which is one of the easier epoxies to use) but it sets faster. This can be a real plus if you're doing repair work, or if you work fast and don't want to have to mess around with finish much or rotate it for a long period. At room temperature, it tacks or sets in about 20 minutes or less. It's reasonably clear and seems to hold up very well. I have some rods finished with Glass Coat that are now several years old and they still look like new.

If you take a lot of time to apply your finish, however, then it's probably not for you. It does set pretty quickly.

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: September 03, 2005 09:12PM

I have only used glass coat so far (fly rods only & I am still new to rodbuilding) and found that I am over and done with quickly which suits me just fine.

Cheers
John

New Zealand

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 10:52PM

Dave

I like Glass Coat but for me it sets up to quickly. The rods I have done with it turned out beautifully but, like Bill, I prefer the LS high Build because of the longer pot life, flow characteristics and bubble release.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 11:15PM

I use Glass Coat for the top coat finish on most rods due to quick hardness. Glass Coat will pass the thumb nail test quicker than other finishes and is very resistant to scratching after the first 24 hours. I work mostly with dark threads and do not notice yellowing with time. I love the way it levels with static application and break down my tasks to smaller sections to prevent the quick set up from bothering me. I use Glass coat on all reparis. I use all Flexcoat systems, LS Supreme and Glass Coat routinely in a mix an match program with specific reasons for each. If you are set in your ways with finish applications and must use only one finish and mix enough for a split grip marble, a long butt wrap and nine or ten guides at one time you may be creating more problems that one finish can solve.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 11:29PM

Glad to see ya back, Bill!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster