I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wood finish?
Posted by: William Cunningham (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 09:43PM

I have tried many finishes, spay on clearcoat, Tru Oil, Spar Varninsh and I still can't seem to fins one that works well for wood handles. They are all so soft and don't get a really good shine.

What I have found that words well is automotive spray clear coat, my friend and I are painting a car and I thought, "Why not." It works really well and is really hard. The problem is, it is really expensive and a pain to use.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wood finish?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2005 09:59PM

Permagloss (urethane). It's easily as hard as your automotive clear coat and won't cost nearly as much. Treat it like you would a "wiping varnish" and you'll get good results.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 01:51AM

Tom--I'm curious--how do you treat a "wiping varnish"? I've known builders to dip their inserts in PermaGloss and to apply it while on the lathe similar to epoxy on the wraps, but you piqued my curiosity with that one.

I've had some really exceptional results lately on reel seat inserts with oil & CA finishing like some of the high-end pen makers use. A little tricky at first but the end results are stunning if you're willing to put the time in sanding down to 2000 between every-other coat or so.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2005 09:08AM

You do it as the name implies - wet an applicator and wipe the finish on lengthwise in a quick pass or two. You won't have time to brush it around and trying to apply a finish that sets this quickly while the workpiece is spinning on the lathe won't cut it.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 02:03AM

Guy's take a look at this and see what you think!! www.woodriteltd/turnmagi.html
May have to copy and paste, but I thought about trying it.

Bill in WV

Date: September 06, 2005 02:04AM

Guy's take a look at this and see what you think!! www.woodriteltd/turnmagi.html

Bill in WV

Bill in WV

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 06, 2005 08:37AM

Bill,

We got your point!!!!!! LOL

Mike

Date: September 06, 2005 08:39AM

Bill,

That's a dead web address that you posted!

Date: September 06, 2005 11:38PM

Sorry guys I don't know what the problem was with the four posts, but I've been having problems with getting them to post at all. ANyway, the stuff is called Turners Majic and it's on WWW.WoodWriteltd.com. Hope that's not a dead site cause I have it bookmarked.

Bill in WV

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2005 11:46PM by William Bartlett.

Date: September 06, 2005 11:49PM

It works now, but you have to copy and paste it, don't know why it didn't come up as a link.

Bill in WV

Date: September 07, 2005 02:16AM

For it to come up as a link, you need the complete address starting with http. Just copy and paste the entire address and it will show as a link.

The address in your first post didn't work because it ended in .html which is not a web address.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster