I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glass like finish on reel seat inserts
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 04:16PM

Not long ago I started fooling around making pens since I have this great lathe and there's only so many inserts and grips that I can use at one time. Anyway, I bought a kit of sanding pads, I think there are 8 pads with grits ranging from 1500 to 12000, for use on pens. If you want your reel seat inserts to be glass smooth and beautifully polished, get a set of these. I bought mine from Woodcraft Supply for around $15.00 They're the same thing as Micro Mesh, but in a pad form. Use them wet and your wood will really shine and so will acrylic. Penn State Industries also sells a similar kit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glass like finish on reel seat inserts
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 10:34PM

Thanks, Gerry!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 01:57AM

Gerry--"wet" as in water, polishing wax, or oil? I started wet sanding with tung oil a while ago and couldn't believe the results compared to not using this technique. How long have these pads lasted for you?

Posted by: Joe Emig (---.253.120.179.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 09:38AM

Gerry, I also use micro-mesh and agree with everything you said. I get mine from www.internationalviolin.com They sell 6" x 12" sheets which I cut into 4 - 3" x 6" pieces. Breaks down to 9 dollars for a set of all nine grits. Great product.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 10:00AM

Yeah Gerry I'm big on the micromesh too. i start with 220, go to 320, then 400, then 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 3200 and finish off with 4000. I'd be interested to learn what "wet" means as well: oil, water?

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 11:06AM

WET - usually means to use sand paper with water as you sand with it. Keeps the paper cleaner because the water will flush the grit out of the sand paper and keep the object being sanded cleaner.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 02:03PM

This is traditional wet sanding with water. I keep a tray of water next to the lathe and keep the pads wet. I get sort of a slurry on the wood which I frequently wipe off with a cloth. I might have to try it sometime with oil, maybe Tru Oil?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 07:16PM

Gerry--if the wood's NOT stabilized (no reall point in this process if it is, though lubricating your abrasive is always a good idea), try starting at the equivalent of 400grade sandpaper with something like Tung Oil sealer. Do the same at 600, then from 800-2000 use regular tung oil or better polymerized tung oil. VERY effective--lubricates the paper/abrasive well and really brings the grain and color saturation out in a piece of wood. That being said, I'm hoping to try Tru Oils sometime soon as well.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 10:50PM

Just curious. If you use Tru oil or any oil for that matter, won't it plug up the mesh making it useless??

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster