I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Legend tourney vs. elite
Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:39PM

I have a friend interested in a new rod. He currently has a Legend Elite I built him in the 63MXF that he loves - he currently uses it for verticle jigging larger jigs and pitching some smaller ones for walleyes on the Mississippi and for some smallmouth action on interior rivers. He is looking for one of the new St. Croix blanks for me to build him and he cannot decide if he wants the LT68MXF or the LT69MLXF.

Have any of you built the LT69MLXF? They are rated to heavier than the comparable LE blanks for whatever reason... do you find them to be stiffer than the LE's? Would this blank really be adequate for casting a half ounce jig? I told him the bonus with this one would be that on paper it looks likely to make a nice Lindy rigging rod as well.

To compare - have any of you built up a LT68MXF? Any insights?

Just trying to do some homework for him as he is torn and I haven't built any of this series yet to offer him educated advice on them - though I want to build one for myself and I have others interested in our results...
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Chuck Ungs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Legend tourney vs. elite
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 07:01AM

I believe the blank for that rod is the 4C68MXF and I built one of them and love it. I use the rod for pitching small jigs and worms for bass. I also use it for throwing a spinnerbait. What I like is that it has a very fast soft tip and it allows to get a roll cast or pitch under things with ease. I just hope I can get some more of these blanks sometime soon. Only reason I got the first one was because with a group, we went through the St Croix factory and built our own blanks and were charged a small portion of what the blanks really cost. I think any of the blanks in the SCIV range will make a great bass rod.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 08:33AM

I've not built on those particular blanks, but but I did get the 4S66MF (two of these) and the 4S70MF and was disappointed with the weight of the blanks, and the tip sizes: all three blanks were considerably over the catalog specs, and even those weight specs are considerably heavier than the comparable 5S models; they are closer to the 3S. So I'm currently going with 5S when I want the best, 3S when just very good will do.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (144.92.184.---)
Date: September 03, 2005 01:39PM

Chuck,
The SCIV blanks in general are actually heavier than the SCIII. The SCV are definitely the lightest of the group but least durable even with the ART. My recommendation is to go with either the SCIII or SCV. The SCIVs are very durable as well, but for the extra weight, I personally don't like them that much. When fishing eight hour tourneys, the little added weight can be noticeable. The blank weight stats say all you need to know. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 06:00PM

I built a SCIII 66MLF for a friend sho is very pleased with it. He's been landing big Small Mouth with authority and finds it works well with all sorts of plastics, spinnerbaits and hard baits. While at the Charlotte Show I had the opportunity to handle an SCV rod and discussed the strength issues with St. Croix's blank designer. He convinced me that the Elites are plenty strong and resist breakage better than most people think. The high tech scrim material and layout is the key. Frankly the two blanks are miles apart in every quantitative category. If you prefer a lightweight rod with extremely fast action the Elite line is tops. I chose the SCV 70MF for myself. But if you like a more moderate blank and expect it to suffer some abuse in the boat the SCIII's will fill your needs and then some. I will add that buying American is an added bonus for me and St. Croix has proven worthy of their fine reputation; at least from my experience. I have no experince with the Tounament blanks.
I plan to build my SCV as a split grip spinner with Andy Dear's Exotic Burl and a customized reel seat. This will be my ultimate freshwater general purpose spinning rod. Unfortunately it means I will have to save up for a top quality reel to do this rig justice. Another excuse to get a gem of a reel!
Dave

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2005 08:10PM

(This is just a test post, having some problems posting.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster