I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Road Trip
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:16PM

This spring, I traveled to Helena MT and spent a weekend with Stan Grace. I learned a lot from the lathe master and it was a weekend I'll treasure the rest of my years.

Tomorrow, Peggy and I travel to Billings MT to meet Gerry Rhoades and Martha and continue the learning experience.

Rod building is all about sharing and learning and I'm looking forward to picking Gerry's brain on all of the tricks he's learned.

Can't leave with out saying thanks. Without .org, none of these things would have ever been possible. Thanks, Tom Kirkman!

Putter
Williston, ND

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Road Trip
Posted by: Mike McGivney (69.253.94.---)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:43PM

Have a safe trip. When you coming up this way?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:50PM

How about I see ya in February, Mike?

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: September 02, 2005 08:40AM

Possibly. If everything goes good around here, I'll be there

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 09:52AM

I've had people tell me that in order to enjoy the "comraderie" of other rod builders that you really need to join a club and pay membership dues. I don't buy it. This site and free clubs like the NERBS prove everyday that rod builders can find each other and hook up without being charged a fee. I wonder how many have used the free directory on this site to find other builders in their own areas just to arrange some bull sessions? I don't think rod building has ever before been so accessible to as many people as it is now.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 03:57PM

I had an interesting experience this summer while on vacation. I have a friend in another state who owns one of the best fly shops I've ever been in. He and his store manager were my usual fishing buddies when I lived there. While I was there, the store manager told me that a friend of his just got "certified" as a rodbuilder by some organization. It apparently cost him a few hundred dollars to get this piece of paper. I saw one of his rods. It was very nice work, looked no different than factory rod I've ever seen, right down to the fooball epoxy on the snake guide wraps!!!!

I guess we're not so hot, we're not certified.

Needless to say, I looking forward to meeting Putter and Peggy and seeing what sort of mess we can stir up in my workshop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2005 04:07PM by Gerry Rhoades.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 04:37PM

Did somebody actually mention the NERBS? (Northeast Rodbuilders) I actually held a couple "NERBS Gatherings at my home and each event 10-15 builders, from non experienced to experienced, took a RISK, of coming to my home for a one day "sharing of information"...there WERE "dues and fees" involved...., they had to bring a food item, and pay there own travel expenses to get here. All and all, alot of information was shared, and friends were made in the process.

I know Billy V has had some small getherings for those interested in crosswrapping in the NY Metro area, that were sucessfull,... and last fall, about 15 of us met in NJ at Mike McG's for a test casting event that was a great learning experience, and a very humorous, good time.

I've got another event planned for January, and in February, a bunch of us will be in Charlotte....our little "Road Trip" where we'll get to meet a more "national" variety of others that share in this little "craft" called rodbuilding. (everyone will have funny accents too!!...myself included)

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 04:51PM

I mentioned the NERBS. Hope to join in at some point. I work and live in the Syracuse-Baldwin area so it's still a pretty good haul for me. Will be in Charlotte again though.

So now somebody is charging a fee to mail you a certificate that says you are "certified" as a rod builder? Tell you what, mail me just $10 and I'll fire off a similar certificate on my computer and send it to you. I'll be happy to certify anybody that wants to be certified but I will have to charge you for it. Can you say SCAM?

Date: September 02, 2005 04:58PM

Shawn:My check is in the mail..lol
Mike: It 'll be a pissah!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 05:20PM

Shawn, Im about three hours from Syracuse, in cental MA, and thats about $700 in regular unleaded!!! lol ... Heck your a member when you say you are, you're in the Northeast too...bonus! About all we have to offer really is sharing a few tips or tricks, seeing how other people do things differently, some comraderie, and this guy named Seane makes Cheesecake that'll stand your hair on end!! You're more than welcome to attend in January if interested.

Mike:....I don't talk like that? Do I?

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 07:21PM

I know about the certification project and who runs it. It's not hundreds of dollars, just something like either $25 or $50, but still seems like just a way for "somebody" to make a fast buck. Surprise surprise.

Date: September 02, 2005 11:27PM

Michael Joyce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Mike:....I don't talk like that? Do I?

Your accent isn't that bad, but you can definitly tell your from New England

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2005 08:04AM

So, how'd the Road trip go?

I might have teh WORST accent. Good $@#%#@$ moring. I love 3^#$^#% #^#%^ fresh air and @$@# sunshine. lol.

In addition to what Mike J posted regarding the local gatherings - it would be great to get a group of builders together in other North East locations. I am full aware people are not going to travel 3 hours for a day of @#$%&. The only way that can happen, is if someone steps foward and says - guys, I have the space we can meet in my workroom/shop/house. I started out and had 3 such gatherings in my shop (baement)which had 17, 16, and 6 people), plus I did 2 butt wrapping classes (3 & 3 people, limited space). I've been up to Massachusettes to Mike J's house via Greyhound twice, adn down to Mike McG's BARELY getting there at all, lol - once. Each time I met new people, made new friends, and learned a few new tricks. I also ate well EVERY time.

Point is, that the only way you can get together with other builders is if someone opens up their home, workroom or shop to complete strangers. I know, it's a VERY difficult to allow a terrorist looking man with long nappy hair and a messed up beard sleeping on your couch, with your wife & son upstairs (for Mike J = lol!!!!). For me, I took that risk and it was well worth it, as evryone who showed up was very respectful, nothing was broken, stolen (that I know about, lol), and it seemed to me everyone had a great time at each one.

I'm not knocking anyone else's organization or anything like that. When I went to the Rodcrafter seminars (I think I made 5 of these), it was about $75 for a 1-day event, and in the $150 range, plus hotel for a weekend. Knowing the cost of renting space, organizing, etc, etc - I thought that was a resonable amount of money for teh Seminar that was put on - I learned a lot, met a lot of great builders - it was really worth it. However, it was a lot of time and money and only a once a year deal (for me). I wanted something more than a once a year thing, that didn't cost so much. THe only way to do that, was to do it myself. So instead of my paying someone else $75 for a 1-day RC seminar, I put together a free 1-day NERBs gthering, which ended up costing me over $75 worth of food, drinks, clean up & ets. lol. And where I didn't want to spend too much time at a RC seminar, I went to teh MAss gathering, which ended up being longer than a RC seminar to get to, and still cost me over $100 in greyhound, food, & etc's.

What the heck is wrong with me? lol.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2005 09:14AM

That makes something the size and scope of the National Rod Builders Show seem like a tremendous bargain - $12 for one day or $20 for both days. You still have to travel, but I think most guys feel what they spend in that regard is well worth what is offered there in return.

More builders should utilize the directory here to find other builders in their areas. When I was actively building rods I was able to converse with Mike Bolt, Buddy Owens, Bobby Smith, Jim Reid and others who were local to me. We often swapped parts around when somebody ran short on something, even if it was just a spool of thread or a tip-top. It's always helpful to know your local builders and to build some sort of friendship with them. You may be competing for the same customer base, but generally you each gain more by helping each other than by not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster