I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat. Does size matter?
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 10:48PM

After many years of building mostly casting rods of all types, I am now building more spinning rods for my family and friends. At one time here on our part of the Gulf Coast, to be seen using a spinning rod was considered unmanly, sort of like wearing a pink shirt. Things are changing rapidly. More fishermen are using light lures such as jerk baits with nothing but a hook for weight; hence the need for spinning rods. The few spinning rods that I have built in the past were built using size 18 Fuji reel seats. This week I started on a spinning rod for a nephew. The only reel seats that I have on hand are 16's that I use on fly rods. I guess my question should be: Is a 16 ok for someone that does not have large hands like I do? It is a subject that I never gave much thought to; I just built the rods using 18's. I have finished the handle, the reel fits fine, and it doesn't feel awkward like I thought it would.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat. Does size matter?
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 10:58PM

I normally use a size 17 reel seat and find it real comfortable to use. A size 16 is also ok but if you have a larger size hand you may find a 16 a little uncomfortable. I have hardly ever used a size 18 because the bushings needed to be larger and more weight was added. I build mostly popping rods in the 6'6'' - 7' range and a size 17 is a good compromise between the two. Use a split grip setup with a Flex coat arbor and you have a really light setup that's a pleasure to fish with.

Date: September 01, 2005 11:12PM

Thanks Lance. This rod is a 6'6" with a 6 inch rear grip and 2 inch foregrip. I did use the FC arbor. The blank is one that I got from Andy. It is super light and will make a good rod for walleye. This rod is going to my nephew in Chicago as a gift. I am going to order a couple more for myself. This year I want to catch a redfish on a Senko worm just to prove a point that redfish will hit anything a bass will take.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:25PM

Ellis,
If you are building mostly light weight rods, bass rods, a size 16 should be large enough for the vast majority of spinning reels. I use a 16 even on some Steelhead rods.

With salmon and Steelhead rods here in the Northwest for years there has been an attitude simular to the one you expressed about spinning reels. Very few fishermen used spinning gear and the people using spinning gear were thought of as beginners or amateurs. That has changed a little the last couple of years with what is called Bobber and Jig fishiing but a lot of hard core Salmon and Steelhead fishermen still have that attitude.

What is curious to me, and maybe you can answer this for me, is the large percentage of spinning gear that seems to be used in the east for surf fishing where they are not casting light weight. What is the advantage of the spinning gear? Here in the Northwest almost all surf fishing is done with conventional bait casting reels.

Date: September 01, 2005 11:54PM

Hey Emory,
The same situation exists here on surf fishing. Most is done with conventional tackle. I have tried spinning tackle and liked to tear my index finger off. However, if you look at the photos from the east coast, those guys have spinning down to a science. When you mentioned steelhead fishing I thought about Gary Loomis. He came down one year for a fishing show and showed us a thing or two about fishing. He had one of the smallest casting reels (Shimano) that I had ever seen on the lightest rod that I had felt up to that time. It seemed that overnight we went from using Garcias to using Shimanos. And to this day, if you are a real "plugger" you will own several Curados or Chronarchs. He did quite a sales job and we all benefited from it...better and lighter tackle.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 12:04AM

All that I build are walleye rods predominantly. I've used size 16 seats; I know that a 17 fits my hand better, but I've fished size 16's for many years and have no comfort problems. I just do it for the weight of the whole rod.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.166.216.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 08:31AM

Hey Ellis;
A size 16 should work great for your nephew's rod. You said his hands are not that big, right? A smaller reel seat is going to fit him better than a larger one would. If you look at the way you should hold a spinning rod. (I say should because of the mechanics involved with proper casting, controlling the action of your lure, feeling the sensitivity of the rod, and detecting the lightest of strikes.) You really only hold the rod by gripping it with your thumb and first two fingers, while cupping your other two figures loosely, but just keeping them in contact with the rod. So to sum it all up; Yes size does matter. It is all about comfort. Larger reel seats my not work well in small hands, or in larger hands either for that matter.
I use a lot of size 16's and 17's on spinning rod for plug rods. Plug rods hear in the East Coast area (the Carolina's and Virginia) are 6' to 7' Med/Lt to Med action rods used to through Gotcha Plugs and small spoons and jigs for Spanish and Blues off of the piers. I also use these same rods and reel seats for freshwater fish.
I hope this helps.
Oh, and if I hold my rod different from you, please don't be upset about my advise on my methods of madness.

Tight Lines and Clean Living.
Paully

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2005 09:18AM by Paul Williams (Paully).

Posted by: mike oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 02:55PM

Ellis

I always seem to be swimming against the current. Personally and I only have small hands and short fingers I like quite large reel seats on my spinning rods. Why becuase I don't get pins and needles or cramped hands and tennis like elbow symptombs in my forearm muscles from overgripping small diameter seats. Now it does depend on the length of rod and power as well. Also of course you have to take into account the hand size of the end user. Ok for me at any rate I use between 18 and size 20. The size 20 tends to be for 9 to 11 foot spinning rods and the 18 for anything less. My other rule of thumb is slightly too big is infinataly more comfertable than slightly too small. Most of us can accomodate and adapt to a larger grip.

I find that most factory rods favour 18 for general spinning rods over 8 feet, One reason could be cost. The larger seat can help balance especially as, if you use cork the diameter tends to be bigger to blend better with the larger seat ends,

Regards

Mike O.

Date: September 02, 2005 05:19PM

Thanks fellas,
Paul, the only thing that bothers me right now is the price of gas. I just upgraded my aluminum boat to a size 50 hp motor. I blew the head on a 40 and the price was right on the 50. Even if I can't afford to go fishing, I can at least sit in the garage and stare at my new motor.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 03, 2005 06:46PM

Hi Ellis,

I build mostly walleye and some bass rods and I use 16's on probably 90% of them.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster