I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anodizing a reel
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.emrsn.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:01AM

Gentlemen,
I have a customer that wants all his rods changed to the same color (some type of blue) to match his boat.
He also asked me that he would also like his reels (in this case a Penn 80-W) be anodized blue. I told him that I would take his request to this forum.
I have heard that there is someone out there that modifies these type of reels by changing gears and so, but nothing on altering the finish on reels.
Any information will be appreciated
Ricardo Font

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anodizing a reel
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:15AM

reelcolors.com specializes in anodizing those type of reels. You can send them your old reels and after the anodizing process they will look like new again. There are many different colors to choose from. They can also engrave logos on the side plates.

Phone no. is: 860-526-0820

Date: September 01, 2005 11:24AM

Thanks for the information.

Posted by: John Mantele (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:34AM

Ricardo,

Click on the following link for one of the best Companies for Reel Anodizing:

[www.reelcolors.com]

The Owner is Tom Testa, a most gracious Gentleman, who anodized the very first proto-types of my @#$%& Roller Guides. The proto-type @#$%& Roller Guides were aluminum, but now they are solid Stainless Steel.

Incidently, your photo of Alfredo Rodriguez catching the 400 Lb. Marlin is also displayed on the photo page of this website, under "Miscellaneous" - Unfortunately, this website doesn't allow editing the Photo Text, so I could not replace your name with Alfredo's. To see the photo, click on the following link:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Best Regards,

John (aka: @#$%&)

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:58AM

If you are wondering who it is that messes with the gears and does the blueprinting of the drags and such it is Cal Sheets Two Speeds and I thing they are in Pasadena or Alhambra Ca. Penn actually works close with Cal on some of the after market changes. To get the high strike pressure and still have freespool you need someone to trick things out. Also I have heard of people Powder coating reels but have no idea how that holds up.

By the way any problems with the new DVD?

Date: September 01, 2005 01:01PM

To all:
Thanks again for the information;
I already passed to my client the URL of Reelcolors and I am waiting for him to decide if he wants to pay $300 for the work.
The final product looks great, and should look even better on four trolling rods, all similarly combined with reels and custom rodbuilding work, but it ain't going to be cheap.

Doc
I sent you a separate note.

Date: September 01, 2005 01:21PM

To anyone interested below is the Cal's 2-Speed Reel Conversions website URL

[www.cals2speed.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster