I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

For builders who sell rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2005 10:21PM

Recently I was reading an article in Tackle Trade World (European fishing tackle trade group publication) and came across a quote from an Englishman named John Ruskin. His statement, made over 100 years ago, contains wisdom that most consumers would do well to heed. I thought those of you who sell rods might find something of value in his words that can help you with your next customer.

"When you buy on price, you can never be sure. It is unwise to pay too much, but it is worse to pay too little.

"When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all: But when you pay too little you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.

"It can't be done: if you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do this then you will have enough money to buy quality on the first go around."

John Ruskin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For builders who sell rods
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 31, 2005 10:34PM

Very True

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2005 10:45PM

Food for thought!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.cjrw.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 09:08AM

Someone less literate, but no less wiser, translated that to read: "You get what you pay for." Probably a savvy Southerner, in my opinion. Try both versions, depending on your customer.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (66.98.130.---)
Date: September 01, 2005 09:20AM

No, I think Mr. Ruskin went much further than that. "You get what you pay for" doesn't go nearly as deep. His comment that when you pay too little that all may be lost is something I had not considered before. "But when you pay too little you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. "

That is one of the most astute business statements I think I have ever heard. Although it should be obvious I had not considered it before now. I can see using it in my main business where we often have customers who routinely buy at the lowest bid for the very reason that they think they are saving money. In the long run they may not be but now I know of a much better way to put things to them.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.emrsn.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 09:57AM

Excellent thought for our everyday trading.
I think that the message not only applies to builders who sell rods but to all of us that wanting/needing to stretch our money, sometimes make the incorrect selection. At least this has happened to me.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 10:09AM

You said it. I've made the mistake of trying save money on components. Saved $15 on a $400 rod and had to strip part of it down to replace a cracked-split reel seat a year later. Cost me more money than I saved. Never again. I go with quality the first time around and I explain to my customers why paying more at the outset is often cheaper on them in the long run.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 10:23AM

Sure buy Quality one time and have a better product -- BUT that storm hit, oil production is down , this is effecting the whole country ! And the economy. When people have to pay $3.00 and more for a gallon of gas, then feed the kids, some states are up over 5.00.

Unless you make good money that bass pro rod is all some can afford.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:23AM

Tom K. - Thank you for sharing your thoughts and John's Ruskin's timeless advice. Most wise. ... Some form of the "all-or-nothing" principle operates in many realms.

Now you've given me a way to express what has been a part of my own struggle for advancement in recent years: "When you pay [invest] too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought [invested in] is incapable of doing [yielding] the thing it was bought [intended] to do [produce]."

My automobile mechanic had a great variation on this theme of limits posted near his Reception / Cashier window: "We do 3 types of jobs here: Cheap, Fast and Quality. ... You may choose any 2 of the above." ... I always told him, "Take your time, Ben." -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Stan Massey (---.cable.ubr04.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:43AM

John Ruskins quotes crop up in a variety of scenarios over here in UK.

He also said:- " There is scarcely anything in the world that some man connot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man`s lawful prey'

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 04:09PM

Hi Stan

Long time no speak. Yes I read that extra line on the back of the Hopkins and Holloway catalogue a year or two back now. Very thought provoking.

It is possible though to become prey to overpriced products and services due to lack of expertise in evaluating whats on sale. This is why we buy branded goods over own brands well some of us anyway. Also the reason why companies employ proffesional buyers to sort the wheat from the chaff. Although some still buy on price rather than total cost. Why will some Anglers only buy Sage or other premium branded rods. Sometimes it's because they want to play safe and heh they did which ever way you look at it.

The biggest achilies heel of us all is we can't resist that bargain. @#$%& what bargain when you get it home.

Regards

Mike O.

Posted by: Ron Alley (---.r02.scbuft.infoave.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 10:27PM

I have floundered with words for years trying to say what Mr. Ruskin did 100 years ago. Blowing it up, hanging on wall, pointing when applicable, and copywright too bad. This is what I call a useful tool. Thanks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 05:56AM

If you buy Quality you only buy it one time. Try to save money and buy cheap, it breaks now you have to buy another, wasted money.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 09:26AM

I read quote on here...can't remember who but I thought it pretty well summed it up...

Quality....Service....Price....PIck 2 of the 3 can't have them all.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 06:58PM

Another variation on the same idea is:

GOOD.....CHEAP.....FAST.....pick any two, all three is not a possibility.

GOOD & CHEAP means I do it in my spare time, no deadlines, no complaints, warranty applies, I'll call you when it's done.

GOOD & FAST means it is not going to be cheap. The faster you demand it, the more expensive it will be; warranty applies.

CHEAP & FAST means it will not be a quality job and will not stand up to the test of time, no complaints allowed, no warranty and I don't really want to do the job.

After this discussion with clients, I tell them that......

GOOD QUALITY....FAIR PRICE....REASONABLE TURNAROUND.....means you want one of my rods built to your specifications using my normal professional methods and quality products.

Most people (including me) have been burned at one time or another buying cheap and tend to respond well to a reasonable discussion. Those who don't are probably not people you want as clients anyway; certainly I don't. Headaches and high maintenance clients come in all sizes and shapes, and from all economic walks of life. I build rods because I enjoy building rods and tend to cultivate clients who appreciate the quality of my work and like to have a close relationship with the builder/vendor. I want repeat clients who expect high quality and good service. You win them one at a time and they bring their friends along on the next visit. I retired from "work" a while back. I prefer enjoying what I do these days.

Joe Douglas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster