I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Belt Sander Belts
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 31, 2005 04:27PM

I need to order Belts, but I'm really not sure which one is right for me. I'm looking to order from MSC, they have a variety from Norton & 3M, different prices & such. What I want is the best belt that will take a really long time to wear out - that is not going to overheat guides & make my grinding life m,ore difficult than it has to be. I know the cheap-o belt which came wiht my Belt sander is NOT what I want, lol.

I'm looking to get a belt to grind guides, Titnanium & Stainless steel. All sizes from 40 down to 6. I think I need to different grit belts - one for the larger guides to remove a lot of material quickly, and a finer belt for the smaller guides. I have no problem switching belts, as I grind all my guides at a sitting, so I'll bang out larger guides one day, switch teh belt and bang out smaller guides the next.

Anyone know what grit I should be looking to get (I assume 60 & 100?), and which specific belt?

I also would like to sharpen HSS lathe tools with teh belt sander. If I need to purchase another $5 belt for this, so be it.

Thanks for any help, I'm really clueless when it comes to stuff like this (and other stuff too).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Belt Sander Belts
Posted by: James Schuldes (---.prcw.com)
Date: August 31, 2005 04:59PM

I am not familiar with your source for belts (MSC?). Typically, I would think that sanding belts are designed for sanding wood - not metal. If they do make ones speciafially for metal, those are the kind to get as they will have abrasives designed for that job. Otherwise, I would think that you might consider getting a Dremel tool with the small grinding wheels which are designed for grinding metals. Thats what I have used.

As far as not over-heating the guides, that is kinda up to you to manage. No matter what you use, after prolonged grinding, they are going to heat up. I think you need to grind for shorter periods of time and quench the guides in cold water before they over heat. But you have ground hundreds more guides than I have.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2005 05:04PM

Something around 100 grit is about right for any of this. Most of the coarser grit belts are designed to allow for sanding metal as well.

In my experience, the 3M sanding products are better than anyone else's. They cost a bit more, but seem to last and wear much longer.

The longer your belt is, the longer it will last. It just has more surface area so you've got more material there to get the job done with. Of course, how long a belt you need depends on the specific belt length your tool calls for. I'm sure you know that, but for others reading along this is something to think about when buying any type of belt sander.

Lathe tools will sharpen on a belt sander, but most really good wood turners will tell you that you need to work through various grades of paper/grits and hone/polish by hand to get a really fine and smooth cutting surface that will last a while. Most will also tell you to use a slow speed grinder, AL or SIC grit on a water wheel. But like I said, you can "get by" with a belt sander. A little tougher on your tools and they won't hold the edge as long, but you can get by this way if you want to.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 31, 2005 05:44PM

Use quality belts by 3M or Norton....silicone carbide type 100 grit is what I've used, even grind the lawnmower blade on it. Not sure about lathe tooling though.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2005 07:14PM

Billy-I'm still using the same 3M belt I put on for my first guide!! It's reddish in colour and said for metal right on the hang tag . I use a 40 grit -its a bit too rough (but works fast), I should find something a bit finer- but no finer than 100.

Posted by: Jim Wilson (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: August 31, 2005 08:22PM

Norton makes a belt called Norzon blue, the grit is zirconia one of the longest wearing belt, they say it works on all materials. Some on @#$%&, Tru-grit also has them.
Jim Wilson

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 01:09AM

Eric - my belt was fine until I started grinding Titanium. Before I knew it, it was bald. lol.

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster