I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

filling cork?
Posted by: Dave White (---.rr1.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 07:33PM

Hello all,Does anyone have any tips they could share on filling cork.What kind of glue is reccomended?I use titebond III to glue my rings together.I tried mixing this and some cork dust and it filled pretty good but is darker than the rest of the ring.Is there something I could tint with?Could I use a clear two part epoxy as a binder?Seems that might be a mess to work with though.Does coarseness of the cork dust have any bearing?I tried a search on this subject but did not find much info.Any ideas are appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: filling cork?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 29, 2005 08:01PM

There's a lot of adhesives that can be used; Rod Bond, your Titebond, and I've used several others, too. They'll all work pretty good.

I saw Ralph O'Quinn doing this with Rod Bond in Charlotte; he'd mix some 'titanium dioxide', a white pigment (he was using a powdered variety that I haven't been able to find yet) to get the color lighter. His matches were really as close to perfect as I've seen. I have what the local hardware store uses to add to paint to color it (the white pigment) that's also called titanium dioxide and plan on trying that next patch job that I undertake.

I've also been going to try, at least on larger holes that need filling, to cut the inside of the hole larger than the surface area's size of hole so that even if the bond broke between the grip and the filler, the patch wouldn't fall out. Just haven't run into any filling problems since I thought of trying it.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Pat Majeski (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 10:19PM

Dave-
I find that using oak wood dough comes the closest to matching the color of the cork. And very easy to use. Pat

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 30, 2005 01:03PM

Elmer's Wood Filler is used by a lot of builders. Comes in squeezable tubes, applies easily with your finger tips, dries ready for sanding in about an hour, and sands very easily. The Golden Oak color is what I use, when dry it is just very slightly lighter than the cork I've been using. There's a darker Walnut color I've been meaning to try, but the golden Oak is good enough. The tube I use is labeled "Interior", but the handles I've repaired for personal use have stood up well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster