I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
paint pigments
Posted by: Dan Colville (---.bflony.adelphia.ne)
Date: August 29, 2005 04:29PM

Hey guys. I cant find paint pigments anywhere. I have tried all local craft and hardware stores. Anywhere you can reccomend.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: paint pigments
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.233.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 04:34PM

check this out [search.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: August 29, 2005 06:02PM

If the hardware store won't sell you the pigments that they mix into the house paints, I'd try some of the artist's pigments (oil base only!!!). They're more expensive, but they work OK. Testor's model paint enamels work, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 29, 2005 06:24PM

What Putter said!!! Also TAP pigments [www.tapplastics.com]; Don't forget that with Testor's, you need to let them settle and por off the solvents so only pigment is left. Their metallics are really nice

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2005 07:18PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 06:43PM

I was wondering why "oil base only", as opposed to acrylic. I've used both, as well as the 'powdered', and they all apply differently but all seem ok to use.....?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 29, 2005 08:09PM

I've wasted way too much money on acrylics; I've tried many of them and they turn the rod finish to a snotty, goey mess almost instantly. If the acrylic is added last minute and a BARE minimum of use with that pigment is done, I can get by with it. I couldn't even get an ink pen marbled after mixing 3 colors of acrylic. 6" of rod butt---impossible!!

I believe that I re-entered the "trial of the acrylics" at your suggestion of using the Liquitex brand and purchased way too much of it. Trial run was a disaster as others leading up to it had been. No more wasting time and money for me; I'm done trying them!!!

Anybody need some Liquitex; real cheap!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 08:33PM

Dan,

Don't even THINK about using acrylics. My experience is the same as Putter's. I agree with what both Mike and Putter have said. I have also used these powders that are used for jig heads where you heat the jig head and then dip it in the powder. I like the TAPS and the powders best but have also used the Testors. I have not tried the paint stores yet, but Putter had some nice looking stuff in Charlotte. I have used all three of these for marbling (see Mike's article in Rodmaker Magazine) and changing rod color. (I'm not sure if Ken Preston has published anything using Permagloss with pigments or not, but he did a wonderful demo in Charlotte that got me started)

Ed Smith

Date: August 29, 2005 09:42PM

Wow...Didn't mean to put anyone over the edge on acrylics. They've worked for me, as do the oils and the powders - each with unique results.

Date: August 29, 2005 10:04PM

Guaranteed, I'm over the edge on acrylics; touchy subject since that last drubbing that I took. They don't work AT ALL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: August 29, 2005 11:39PM

Steven,

One way of proving your point is to post some pix! I believe you. What brand and how did you use them!

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 30, 2005 12:15AM

I used all 3 that you sent me, Mike. I used LIquitex and Graham's. I've used Testor's; it sets up a bit slower, probably because it's cut with some kind of solvent.

Post pictures? That would mean I'd have to mix up some more finish and waste more time and money; I've been through enough of that nonsense, believe me!!

If you want, I'll bring some of that famous Liquitex to Charlotte and waste part of the time in the seminar showing how worthless this stuff is.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: August 30, 2005 05:16AM

I really have nothing to prove and didn't mean to upset anyone. Really. Stick to what you like. I was simply sharing my experience with the stuff - won't happen again!

Date: August 30, 2005 07:53AM

I'll stick to what works; not just what I like.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: August 30, 2005 09:59AM

I hate to say it, but if Steven says that he is using them successfully, I hate to see him get called a liar. I would much rather hear what he is using and how than in telling him that what he is doing can't work even if it is for him. I would rather see pix of what he is doing!

What we ended up with is a builder who will no longer share his experiences with the rest of us and make others less willing to share their experiences and risk getting flamed for it

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: August 30, 2005 10:04AM

Steven

if you get some thing that works -- I for one would like to hear about it.
Don't worry about what some one says here. Keep posting Some times what does not work for you - will work for some one else.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 30, 2005 11:00AM

The biggest problem with the message boards is people posting bad information. I'm not saying this is the case here - i'm playing Devils Advocate.
On one hand, Putter has tried something, and cannot get it to work, no matter what he has tried.
On teh other, Steve has tried teh same thing, and got it to work.

The problem, as I see it - is tehre are no instructions on what Steve did to get it to work, so saying to go ahead and use it when others have failed, is useless.

Date: August 30, 2005 11:01AM

The biggest problem with the message boards is people posting bad information. I'm not saying this is the case here - i'm playing Devils Advocate.
On one hand, Putter has tried something, and cannot get it to work, no matter what he has tried.
On teh other, Steve has tried teh same thing, and got it to work.

The problem, as I see it - is tehre are no instructions on what Steve did to get it to work, so saying to go ahead and use it when others have failed, is useless.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: August 30, 2005 11:19AM

I myself find if some finds some thing works then I want to know what they did or did not do to make it work ? But then again I will paint and clear a blank or reel seat several times before I like it ??
Finding that some added two drops instead of five drops could mean a big difference in weather some thing works or not.

Date: August 30, 2005 11:31AM

Billy,

Steven never told anyone that it was OK to use or that they should use it. In fact, he asked why he shouldn't. All he said was that he has used it with no problems and before he could do anything else, he was jumped on.

Mike

Date: August 30, 2005 11:48AM

Mike you're right. Putter told him why he shouldn't. It would be nice to see a description of how Steve gets it to work.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster