I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Sizes
Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.68.---)
Date: August 29, 2005 07:54AM

I have purchased a bunch of size B and D threads, large spools. Can I use the B thread for like Bass Rods? What can the D size be used for?
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Sizes
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: August 29, 2005 10:31AM

D thread CAN be used to wrap any guide; most prefer A for looks, though. But it CAN be used just fine.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.69.---)
Date: August 29, 2005 10:40AM

What about the B thread for Bass Casting or Spinning rods?
Dave

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: August 29, 2005 10:44AM

They'll be just fine for any rod, Dave. Just a tad larger than A; B is a bit of an odd size and not many threads are available in this sizing. It'll be just fine, though.

I know Doc uses B in a lot of his weaves.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 29, 2005 05:36PM

TITLE: "Gudebrod Thread Table: Strength & Weight of Guide Wraps for Size 2/0 - E" [www.rodbuilding.org]
Table of Wrap Strength & Wrap Weight per 1 cm Width of Guide Wrap around a 1 cm circumference section of rod blank (OD = 3.18 mm) for selected popular Styles & Sizes of Gudebrod Rod-Building Thread. (Calculated values, not direct "in-situ" measurements. -Cliff Hall+++) KEYWORDS: GUDEBROD; THREAD; Strength; Weight

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 11:02PM

OK...Need a little help here from someone not so mathmatically challenged as I am.

The conversion equation for diameter in mm to diameter in inches

mm/25.4 Is that right?

Thanks Cliff!

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Date: August 30, 2005 02:34AM

Derek -Yes sir, that is correct-o-mundo. There are EXACTLY
25.400 mm per 1.0000 inch. That is not rounded off - it is exactly true.

( ___ mm / 25.400 ) = ___ inches (decimal notation 0.000)
( ___ inches (decimal notation 0.000) x 25.400 ) = ___ mm

Sizing reel seats is the most common need for this (mm <--> inches) conversion. In that Gudebrod Thread Table (Wrap Strength and Weight), I specified the values assuming a wrap width of 1 centimeter (10 millimeter = ~ 3 / 8ths inch). So, for example,

Regular Nylon size A thread has a diameter of 0.175 mm --> 57 turns per cm
Regular Nylon size D thread has a diameter of 0.260 mm --> 38 turns per cm

Your # turns per cm depends on how tightly you pack it. So, now you can see that a simple multiplication of the (# turns per cm) by the tensile strength of that size thread is how to calculate the comparison of (1cm of size A band-width) verses (1cm of size D band-width) wraps. Size A has a theoretical holding power of ~ 150#, and size D has ~ 280#. EITHER ONE is several times the load of 30-50#, directly on the guide ring, which starts severely deforming the guide frame, even before the guide foot slides out from under the thread, or before the thread would start to snap. The load on a single guide is never that much ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 30, 2005 12:16PM

Thank you Cliff.

My Matrix is ALMOST complete.

Need the diameter in inches if

Gudebrod Size B (rare I know but it is still out there and

35wt poly, rayon, nylon (rare)
30wt mostly Rayon
15wt Mostly cotton, some poly and metallics
12wt Mostly cotton, some poly and metallics

I actually found a site out there that advertises 12wt metallics and I would LOVE to know thw diameter

Also

the thread exchange is under new mgmt and have a wider range of product now.

Date: August 30, 2005 07:51PM

When a thread diameter is not available (and I don't have the Threads that Derek asked about), a test wrap will tell you the # turns per cm or inch, as you wish. If you can count by sight or a probe The blank diameter is essentially irrelevant. In fact, wrapping a 1 cm band around a pencil or pen, which has one unique side, may make counting the # of turns much easier. -Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster